Chapter 24 - Novella Quill

- Novella Quill POV -

I surveyed myself once more in the gilded mirror. I'd originally planned to wear my old cape, but Twilight had insisted I borrowed one of her friend Rarity's for Braeburn's party.

"I still dont understand why you insist on wearing a cape, darling. It hides your gorgeous long legs." Rarity sat by a rack of dresses, her mane and tail both covered with a bathrobe. She examined her hoof and sighed. "If only I'd remembered to get a hooficure! Of all the worst possible things that could happen, this is the...worst...possible...thing!" She whined, collapsing dramatically onto chaise longue.

Twilight giggled from the dressing room. I gazed back at my reflection - the cape that Rarity had loaned me was pure white, with a modest, yet not obtrusive, pink frill along the hem. It was embroidered with tiny pink flowers. It was beautiful, but I missed the familiar touch of my old cape. I sought a glance at it, yet was scolded by an exasperated Rarity.

"Why do you insist on wearing that raggedy old thing? It's so last century!"

I frowned. "It's all I have from home - apart from Riff, that is."

Rarity took a perch on the chaise longue. I wondered if she was ever going to get ready. "I have yet to meet this brother of yours, this Riff fellow. What does he do for a living?"

I blushed lightly, glancing at the floor. "He's a musician." I paused. Rarity continued staring, waiting for an explanation. "He's Riff Acoustica. From the band Frantic Gallop."

Rarity shrugged. "Never heard of them, darling. If he's a musician, then he must be terribly talented." She mused, sifting through a chest of dresses.

I shook my head, amused at Rarity's vanity. Eventually, Twilight emerged, clad in a gorgeous flowing dress. The silky purple satin shimmered under the light from the candles, and the trail slithered along the floor behind her. She was beautiful.

"Oh, Twilight, darling! You look absolutely smashing!"

Twilight blushed, checking the time. "We should really get going. Rarity!? Why arent you dressed?"

"Oh, I'm not coming."

Twilight sighed. "Pinkie will be devastated."

Rarity seemed to stiffen, and spent a moment in conflict with herself. I watched as she shook the robe off - her mane and tail were both black and slightly wavy. The pictures on the wall showed her with curled purple hair. Twilight gasped audibly; I however, didnt see what was wrong. The contrast of the black on the white looked stunning.

"Oh, it's simply TRAGIC isn't it?" Rarity whined.

I stepped forward cutting off Twilight as she was about to speak. Rarity watched me pace over to the rack of dresses; pick out a slim black number; walk back to her.

"The black of your mane contrasts with your white pelt, but pair it with a black dress and you'll look incredibly mysterious. Personally, I think that the black looks absolutely beautiful in contrast to the white." When I stopped talking, Rarity watched me for a moment, her mouth agape. Eventually she took the dress from me and pulled it on. It looked stunning.

"I look...I'm...oh, thank you Novella!" She wept, hugging me tightly.

"It's no problem." I looked at the time. "We'd better get going!"

We arrived when the party was already in full swing. Rarity made an entrance with her new air of mystery, leaving Twilight and I to the back - not that I was worried. The last thing I wanted was for someone to notice my wings.

"Twilight! Nova!" Riff trotted over to us, followed by Flash. I felt slightly self-conscious of Flash's hungry gaze sweeping over me. There was something in his eyes, something I'd never noticed before.

"Flash." Twilight interjected, his gaze breaking away from my body. She gestured that they go into the kitchen. Flash dutifully followed. I watched them argue for a moment, before Twilight ran off crying.

"I'll follow her. You go talk to Flash." I nodded, watching Riff run after Twilight before making a move to follow Flash. As I struggled through the crowd, I was bumped into by a pony with rainbow hair.

Eventually I reached the edge of the crowd. Flash sat in the corner of the kitchen, sipping a glass of pink liquid. I took one for myself and took up the seat next to him.

"Is this seat taken?" I asked, gulping down the drink. It was sweet, and gave me a delightful buzz.

He shrugged. "Yeah. It's not like I have a fiance any more or anything." He hiccuped, slouching into his chair.

"That bad, huh?"

He nodded.

"Who broke it off?"

"She did. I'll never do better than her. She's a princess."

"Why dont you find another princess?" I took another sip of the drink. It was empty. I emptied another glass into my mouth and giggled at the glorious warmth that spread through my body.

"Where would I find another princess?"

I drained a final cup and swayed slightly on my chair. "Look no further than the chair next to you." I slurred, drooping onto him. He caught me, looking down with an unreadable expression. I didnt realise until our lips touched that he was going to kiss me.

I should have stopped it there. I should have told him that Twilight was my friend; but I couldnt. His lips felt natural against mine, as if they were meant to be together. Instead I let myself sink deeper into his embrace, the buzzing warmth goading me further and further from self-control. I let myself get lost in the passion of the moment.

If only I'd known how truly wrong I was to do so.