Chapter Ten - Rainbow Dash

- Rainbow Dash POV -

Argh! That pony just pushed my buttons! At first I'd been so happy to meet him, but now he just irritated me with whatever he said. I'd nearly ripped his head off after he spilt his drink on AJ, and now he was strumming a guitar, a group of admiring fans around him. Eurgh, how uncool. I cant believe I used to be one of them.

"Hey Rainbow Dash!" Spike waddled towards me, holding a little box wrapped in elaborate paper and ribbons. "Have you seen Rarity anywhere? I cant find her."

"Havent seen her all day." Then I remembered. "She's got" I put on a Rarity accent. "'sooooooo much work to do and sooooooooooooooooooo little time!' or something like that."

Spike looked downcast. "Oh." He pushed the box back into his jacket pocket. "Well, I'll see you around."  He walked off, back into the crowd. I opened my wings and soared into the air, searching the room for a friendly face.

I spotted Fluttershy standing with Big Macintosh, Derpy, Dr. Hooves and Pinkie Pie. I swooped over and landed beside Derpy, and leant against the wall. They were in animated conversation.

"I'm just so happy that he's my new friend!" Pinkie was bouncing on her hooves, her face excited. "He's such a super duper awesome pony and he seems to get along with everyone!"

"I still haven't met him." Fluttershy murmured. She looked at Big Mac. "Have you?"

"Nope." Their eyes met and lingered for a moment, and their faces warped to affectionate, lovey-dovey, soppy smiles. They were cute together, but public displays of affections made me gag. I wanted to tell them to keep it private, but I didnt want to upset Fluttershy.

"Oh my gosh! Hi!" Pinkie squealed and bounced off, leaving the five of us in awkward silence. Derpy and Dr. Hooves spoke quietly to each other, and Fluttershy and Big Mac were still looking at each other soppily. I rolled my eyes and flew away, scanning the crowd for anyone I could talk to.

Eventually I landed beside the drinks table and got a glass of something bright pink - one of Pinkie's concoctions. The moment it touched my pallet, the flavour of strawberries and raspberries and bubblegum washed over my tastebuds. I drained the cup quickly and poured myself some more, drinking to the very last drop.

I looked around the room again, feeling a bit woozy. I was sat perfectly still, but the room wobbled and swayed around me. I hiccuped - what was in that drink? Strangely, even after it had put me in this funny mood, I still wanted more. I found that I'd drank what was left already, and settled with a yellow drink. It tasted of hay, golden delicious apples and something I couldn't identify. It was as good as the pink one and I drained that too. 

I slammed down the glass and trotted into the crowd, finding that everyone was swaying around me. I banged into a few people - correction, they banged into me. I tried to flap up into the air, but my wings felt weak and unpredictable. I settled with walking.

"Hey Rainbow Dash!" An echo of a familiar voice called me. I swished my head around, and found a swaying Applejack a few feet away from me. "Come with me!" I nodded, following her as best I could to the doors of the barn - one of them swaying into my head on the way out - and out into the fresh air. The moment we stopped, i felt my body tingle, and then subsequently crumple to the ground.

AJ approached me - she was sideways, and I couldn't fathom why. "Whyareyousidewayssss..?" I said, my voice slurring the words together. I tried to lift myself, but my limbs were weak and my head was spinning - or was that the floor?

"You drank one a Pinkie's cocktails, di'n't ya?" I felt a pang in my stomach and groaned, laying my head back. AJ rolled her eyes. In the moonlight, with her mane all ruffled and still damp, she looked beautiful. I just wanted to reach out and touch her blurry outline. "Di'n't Twi ever warn y'all about those drinks? She had the bad end of one a few weeks ago." 

My head had begun to clear, and I pulled myself up. AJ was no longer sideways. "I didnt... drinkanydrinksss..." I said honestly. As far as I could remember, I hadn't drunk anything all day. I hadn't really done anything that I could remember. 

"Come on now," She guided me away from the barn with her hoof, towards the house. The world was swaying again - the only steady thing was AJ's hoof on my shoulder. Everything passed in a haze, and somehow I'd walked all the way to AJ's bed. She tossed me into it and covered me up, pushing my mane out of my face. I hadn't realised how tired I was until she patted the covers, looking  at me with her green eyes.

"Now y'all should get some rest. You're gonna have a mighty headache in the morning." She started to walk away, but I felt lonely and cold in the room. 

"Wait..." I groaned. She turned back to me. What I really wanted was for her to lay with me until I fell asleep, but my head had begun to clear, and I knew that was a bad idea - though I didnt know why. Eventually I settled with "Dont leave me on my own..."

She trotted over and plonked herself down beside the bed. "This better?" I nodded, and let my eyes drift shut as I whirled into the oblivion of sleep.