Chapter 1

She could feel her heart beating rapidly as the plane descended, This was her chance to make something of herself, to forget the past and start afresh. She prayed so hard that maybe this place would change her poor struggling life. The thud of the plane landing on the tarmac brought her back to reailty. No more pain, no more running, she hoped for a new lease in life.

I disembarked from the plane, collected my small dirty second hand luggage from the belt and headed out. My forehead creased with worry, what if she didn't come, what if this was a bad idea, what would she do and then amongst the throng of people with cardboards she spotted her cousin. So beautiful, so prim and elegant and so different from her. She was 5'6 to my 5'3, tall thin to my petite curves, her long sleek straight hair glowed to my messy wavy tresses. Aliya was everything a man would want, her confidence shined though the crowds, whereas no one would take a second look at me. "Lina" I could hear Aliya scream. Everyone was gaping at her, her enthusiasm is contagious " it's so good to see you. How many years has it been? omg god you look so cute, love the shoes and the bag" Aliya babbled.

Lina got a tight hug, her cousin went on with the questions, not taking a breath or waiting for an answer. Finally after 3 minutes passed, Aliya took a breath and dragged Lina's hand to the parking lot. Lina was quiet just taking in her surroundings, thinking to herself this is going to be her new life, her fresh start. Taking a deep breath of air, a long awaited breath, Lina felt a dash of positivity go through her. Finally she looked at Aliya and smiled, "I am good, it's been a long time.".

"So what plans Lina, what are you planning on doing now? asked Aliya

"I don't know as yet, will start looking for a job first, before anything I need to start working." replied Lina

"Yeah that seems like a good plan, you're more than welcome to crash at my place as long as you like, I need a house sitter anyways, in 2 months I will be going on a project work to Dubai for a month or so. I need someone to look after the house while I am gone."Aliya continues
"Cool! I won't be able to pay you for a while but as soon as get a job I will settle my dues."

"Omg don't worry about it Lina, your my favorite cousin. Take your time, you have been through a lot this past year. I know you need to recuperate. Alright tonight there is a party a friend invited me to, I told her I am bringing you. I am not taking no for an answer."

"No Aliya. please I am a bit tired and I to top it off I don't have anything to wear."I pleaded.

"Don't worry about it, you can borrow anything you want from my closet, I have a lot of stuff we can definitely make something fit you." Aliya insisted.

"Ok." I reluctantly agreed "let's leave early though. I need to get up early and start with my job hunting."

"Take a breather babe, you just landed, it's going to take a while. Take it slow." said Aliya

"Cool we are here. this is home." Aliya opened the door and it was a nice comfy cozy place one bedroom apartment. The hall was spacious and bright. Art was all over the place, which wasn't surprising since Aliya was a Art consultant for Renewed, one of the biggest names in art business.
"You can crash in the couch for now. this is our closet, I made space your you. you can put your stuff in there.The kitchen is here, I barely use it, but I remember you love to cook. So please feel free. Help yourself to anything except my bedside table, because that where the good stuff is." she winked."Oh and if you need condoms I have extra stash in the closet in case you're feeling frisky." She stated as Lina blushed furiously.

Lina gave her a big hug and said "thank you Aliya. this means a lot, I will get out of your way as soon as possible. I love you."

"I love you too babe. Ok now will give you some time to freshen up and catch some ZZZZZ's.Its 5 now we will leave at 9 alrite? I got to go out for a bit, this is your key. Will see you at 9. bye." And she left.

Lina took in her surroundings, it was more than what she had back home and she needed a fresh start, a new year with better days. She had been through hell and back. She shuddered and dismissed the thought, took a gulp of air and started to unpack. By 7 she had finished freshening up and was all settled in. Too late to sleep she thought to herself, might as well whip up something to eat before we head out. Kitchen was her comfort zone, she loved to cook, whip up quick bites and feed others. She didn't have the time off late. Luckily Aliya stocked up the kitchen, so she got to chopping the veggies, the swish of the knife was so soothing, stirring and mixing . Suddenly the door opened, made Lina jump eyes full of fright, thinking of the times before.

"What with the look babe? Hmm I can smell something so delicious, I don't think my house smelled this good. what are you making?"Aliya yelled as she walked in.

Lina took a deep breath, she needed to overcome this fear, it would take some time but she had to. Aliya only knew bits and pieces and she didnt feel like sharing, the pain would be too much for her.

"Paella" I replied. I thought we could eat something before we head out.

"Sounds brilliant. I am generally on a liquid diet" Aliya winked "but I won't say no to food."

We started eating and Aliya went on talking about her job and this cute guy she met who she knows is definitely not the one,but he seems to be the one in bed.

She looked at the time "Ok come-on we are going to be late. Lets dress you up".Her closet was stacked full of clothes, she picked a shiny black one and said try this on.

"No way. it's too short I need to cover up."I argued

"What do you have to cover up?" Aliya enquired

"Nothing. Just that I might feel a bit cold and I would prefer being clothed as much as possible" Lina lied. She didn't want Aliya to see the bruises left behind

"Ok how about this?" and pulled out a short shimmering black dress with long sleeves. it looked stunning.

"Omg this looks so good on you. You can't say no."

"Fine! Ok now pleases you go get ready. We are already running late."

She came out in this sexy white bodycon looking like a movie star. This without her make up on, like she was born looking glamorous.

~
Authors note

If you have started reading this book. I hope you liked this chapter. If you do continue reading it, I hope you like the story.
Thank you.