Chapter 5

I wake up with my laptop to my right and phone to my left. That reminds me, this arvo I'm going to Mako with Bella and Mason. I get up and get dressed, slowly making my way to the kitchen.

"Good morning Sophia." my dad chimes.
"Why are you so happy?" I ask.
"Today Lilly agreed to let me teach her how to fish." he says.
"I didn't agree! I'm only doing this so I can get Instagram photos of the beach, to match my theme." she states.
"Well I'm off to a sleepover later today." I say getting out the cereal.

Dad nods and gets out the milk for me, "you have fun then sweetie. I'm going to get the fishing gear ready." he says messing up my hair.

I pat it back down and pour out my breakfast. Today I'm going to pack my clothes, etc. into a waterproof bag so I can swim via the ocean to their house. Full moons naturally mess mermaids up when they make some sort of contact to its light so tonight shall be intriguing.

***

I walk to the beach since it's now 4:40pm. It should only take me 10 minutes to swim there since I have super fast swimming now that I'm a mermaid. Securely checking my bag is leak free, I run and dive into the waves . My tail greets me and I speed-swim to the beach up front the Wright's house. I make it their within 10 minutes as predicted and dry off safely.

"Soph?" Mason calls out with his surfboard under his arm? "what are you doing here?"
"I came a few minutes early so I decided to hang out at the beach alone for a bit." I lie.
"Okay well I'm just heading back how about you join me?" he asks, holding out a wet hand for me to grab.
"Okay lets go." I say, pretending not to see his hand held out.

We awkwardly walk to their house and see Bella getting the boat ready, packing it with a tent, torches, food, ect. I dump my waterproof bag amongst the pile and help them fuel the boat.

"Are we ready?" I ask.
"Yep." Bella says jumping into the boat, turning it on.

We all hop in and ride to Mako. I fend off the water splashes secretly just because I plan on keeping my mermaid side a secret. As we near Mako Island I nervously think of situations and now to avoid some of them.

As soon as we arrive we tie down the boat and grab our things as we head inland. I secretly dry everything off as I grab the food, bags and torches. They both grab the tent, fire starting blocks, lighter and also the shovel to bury... business (if you know what I mean).

"Okay I say we camp out in the same spot as when we were with the whole family." I suggest and they nod.

We set up everything just in time to make a fire before night falls.

"I'm going in the tent." I say, on edge because of the full moon rising.
"I'll keep you company." Mason says joining me.
"Don't get up to anything nasty while I'm gone." Isabella says.
"Where are you going?" I ask.
"Behind a tree with the shovel..." she says.

Mason and I shut the tent door as we hear the leaves crunch under Bella's foot as she walks around. I shuffle a bit as I uncomfortably gain fear from the moon.

"What's wrong?" Mason asks with curiosity.
"I guess I'm just scared." I say, it's half true.
"It's okay, just a few cane toads outside, Bella is one of them." Mason jokes and I laugh a bit.

He wraps his arms around me sort like a hug that never ends, a cuddle. I bring my legs up to my chest and hug him back. As we're having this cute moment I realise something, Isabella isn't back and it's been a few minutes.

"Where's Bella?" I ask.
"She's probably bonding with her species." he jokes again.

I shrug it off. If I went outside I would either get moonstruck, be scarred for life if I caught her pooping or both.

I hug Mason tighter at the thought of being moonstruck. He gently kisses my forehead and I rest my head on his shoulder.

"Ahh!" I hear Isabella scream.
"Oh my god Mason! We have to go outside." I demand pushing him off me in a rather hurtful manner.

I stupidly unzip the tent and run out, only to be greeted by the familiar moon. I stare blankly into it and can't bring myself to look away.

"Sophia? Are you okay?" Mason asks waving his hand in front of my face.
"It's so pretty. The moon. I could stare at it. Forever."
"Pity, because right now we have to find Bella." he says pulling me at the waist.

I use my powers to easily send him flying through the air, landing harshly on a tree.

"Ouch! Sophia how did you do that?" he whimpers.

I walk blankly to the moonpool and see Isabella in the water surrounded by pretty lights made from the full moon's magic. I look up through the volcanic hole and see the moon at its highest. Mason comes running in and grabs me by the arms and pushes me into the water.

As soon as I touch the water I'm not moonstruck anymore and realise the terrible situation I'm in.

"Mason, Isabella don't freak out." I say mentally counting down from 10. 4, 3, 2. They stare at me super confused.

1. I transform into all my fishy glory and watch as their facial expressions change from confused to shock and fear.

"Don't scream." I plead.
"Sophia... or should I say monster. I can't believe I actually had feelings for a... fish!" Mason spits storming out of the cave.
"No wait!" I ask.

I use my powers to drag him back here.

"Stop you monster!" Mason screams.
"She's still herself, just scalier." Isabella says.
"No, she's not her." he says, attempting to walk off, except this time it works because I don't bring him back.

I swim off to the beach and dry myself off then run to the tent crying. The tears don't transform me surprisingly. I hear someone open the tent door and hide beside the tent door just so they can't see me as they walk in. It's Isabella and Mason, except Isabella is soaking. I dry her off magically as she is in complete shock as to how it's happening.

"You were really harsh to her." Isabella says.
"She lied to us. I actually thought I liked her more than just a friend."
"Things don't have to change, just accept that she probably is stuck with it, image how alone she feels." she says.
"I do feel alone." I say speaking up.
"Go away, I don't know what you are but I can't believe you lied about being human!" Mason argues.
"I had to! For my Grandma's safety and my own. It's better like that."
"Your Grandma?" Bella asks.

I explain it all to them about why I'm a mermaid and etc. Surprisingly Mason listens too. Isabella's eyes grow wide, "I was in the water when the full moon was at its highest... if your Grandma means that this moonpool has power then what if..."
"What if what?" Mason spits.
"I could be a mermaid." she says quietly.