Chapter 6

I wake up in the tent beside Isabella, Mason must be outside.

"Don't be mad at me! I was protecting myself." I say as I step outside the tent, seeing Mason leaning against a tree.
"I'm sure of it. Why don't you just go?" he asks, turning to me.
"Don't take this personally, but humans are a threat to me, and potentially your sister if she is... like me."
"How about we find out?" he says grabbing a water bottle from the table beside him.

As he walks past me he squirts the water at me. I roll my eyes at him and fall to the floor. "Wow aren't you funny." I sarcastically tease.

I hear him squirt Bella with the water and then hear her scream. I steam dry myself off and use my powers to bring the water bottle into my hands.

"Sophia! I-I-I'm a merma-i-id!" she screams.
"Quiet child!" I yell back running up to her in the tent.
"You did this to her if you didn't take us to this stupid island this wouldn't have happened." Mason says grinding his teeth.
"Well sorry you agreed to come on a friendly camp out." I spit.
"Shut up and help me!" Isabella butts in, we roll our eyes and I dry her.

I dry off Isabella and continue fighting with the stubborn Mason. Why doesn't he understand I was just trying to protect myself? Well too bad I guess, good thing we're leaving Mako soon.

"Honestly Sofisha I can't believe you turnt my sister!" Mason argues.
"I didn't turn her into anything! We were in the tent and she wondered off! Not my fault." I yell.
"Stop bickering you two! I'm a mermaid now, and Mason it's not anyone's fault but mine! So unless you want to get me exposed I suggest you don't push Sophia away because you certainly can't help me." Isabella states, walking off to the boat with the folded tent under her arm.
"Sorry." Mason says.

Ignore him and grab my belongs as well as some camp gear to take to the boat.

***

I ended up swimming home because I couldn't handle them. Dad is out fishing with Lilly still so I'm just home with Susan, my step-mum.

"So how was the sleepover?" Susan asks, leaning on the doorframe to my room.
"It was good, thanks for letting me go, mind if I go to the beach just to chill out?" I ask, really I was going to swim to Grandma Louisa's house, she'd know what to do.
"Okay, but be home before 5pm."

I ride my bike out to the beach and sprint towards the water. As soon as I turn I speed-swim. It doesn't take very long to get to the beach in front of Grandma Louisa's house even though it's a 25 minutes drive.

"Grandma!" I shout knocking rapidly on her front door. Please be home I think to myself. I hear the door open and I peer my head through the crack.
"Sophia who turned?" Grandma Louisa asks powerless on the floor.
"Wh-a-at Grandma get up!" I scream moving her shoulder back and forth.
"They stole my power Soph. I don't know why or how but you need to figure it out." she coughs clutching her throat.
"Please Grandma don't leave me. I should have listened to you and just stayed home." I cry, tears falling down my cheek.
"I-I love you-u-u Sop-."

I shake her hoping for a reaction. Nothing. I rest my head on my chest and sob into her shirt. Grandma Louisa is dead, Mason is mad at me and Isabella's a mermaid - could anything be worse. I get up and shakily grab the home phone on top of her coffee table.

I dial 000 and tell the emergency services that I found her dead. Even in the worse moment of my suffering I still have to protect her. No one else can know about our family history.

The emergency services tell me to stay at the house so I can answer any questions and that they will arrive in around 15 minutes.

I call Dad and Susan and tell them to come over. They don't question how I got to her house despite it being 20ish minutes away - I think they are just mainly as shaken up as I am.

The emergency services ask questions like "Why did you come over alone and what was her last contact with me like, just stuff like that." I answer all the questions and stretch the truth to a few of them to keep Isabella and myself safe.