I'm not that desperate

_____________________________________________________________________

Ash pov

"I'm sorry Mr. Collum to have to end our business, I hope you understand."

"I understand Mr. Brown. If you ever change your mind, you know where to contact me."

"Of course. Goodbye. "

Ash hung the phone, cursing his bad luck. He couldn't believe that his ex wife actually got her father to blackmail his associates and clients. After only two months since their divorce he had lost half of his clients. His wife had fought for everything in court and had his grandfather not written his will, she would have left him penniless. She took the house in the city, the majority of the cars and their vacation home at the beach.

The only thing she didn't take was his cattle ranch. His great grandfather started cattle ranching years ago and it was passed down to the next male. In his will he made sure that the business was only passed down to a son but he had to be an heir of the father. His business had been growing and he was away from home much of the time. His wife had been trying to get pregnant but not because she wanted kids but because she wanted to get her hands on his ranch.

When he had got a chance to go home early he found another man in their bed, apparently she thought she could pass any child as his and he divorced her. When she couldn't take the ranch she decided to destroy his business by blackmailing his clients. If he couldn't get anyone to buy his beef, he would lose the ranch. He already had to lay off some of his help and if he didn't get the loan he applied for at the bank, he didn't know what he was going to do.

Ash walked out of his office and outside to talk to Carlos, one of his most loyal work hand and friend. It was a sunny day and taking a ride through the country side sounded good. He hadn't had a chance to take one of his horses for a ride for a while now. Grabbing one of his hats from the hook by the door he made his way to the stalls. Carlos was brushing out one of the chestnuts and John was cleaning out the horse shoe of another.

"Hey boss, any good news or should I start packin?" Carlos asked with a smile, he was always looking at the bright side of things.

"Lets just wait until we hear from the bank about that loan. How's the family John?"

"We're okay for now, Maggie is trying to find a job but its hard with the kids."

"Well don't worry to much about it, as long as I have my health I'm not letting either of you go. Also if you two can find out who else needs help on the farm let me know, I don't want the men to feel like they're going to be left without a job."

"Don't worry boss, the men understand and they have already selected some of their friends who need the job most so they can stay longer. Well get through it, remember 'Dios aprieta pero no ahorca'."

Ash smiled at his friends favorite philosophy, 'when god shuts a door, he always opens a window.' His friend was so optimistic and it helped when things looked bleak, like now. He walked over to one of the horse stalls and walked the horse out. This was his favorite horse, a black mustang, there was also a black Morgan but the mustang was younger and the longer trips suited him. He saddled and bridled the horse, getting up on the saddle and trotted out.

. . . . . . . . . . . .

Ash walked into the bar, looking around for his friend. After the week he had, he was ready for a drink. The bank had denied the loan and now more clients had called to cancel their contracts. So when Axel called that he was in town, he was more then glad to get a drink with him. They had been friends in high school but then went different ways for college. While they both had a degree in business, Axel's business was a rather unique one.