We're Bumper Cars

"What are you doing (Y/N)?" Your ex husband Marshall questioned as you walked into the door of the house.

"I'm coming to get my child Marshall!" I yelled back as I walked upstairs to my sons room. 

"Please, let me go get him." He pleaded as he walked up behind you and grabbed the back of you hand.

You where fearful the last time he pulled you back like this was when you were leaving after you filed a divorce.

"I'm sorry." He mumbled as he let go of your hand and walked up the stairs.

"Do you think you'll be ok without me." He said as he walked back to get your son.

"I have been for a year Marshall, but that doesn't mean I don't feel unsafe at times, when I need you now your never there." You said sitting down on the bottom step.

Marshall stopped walking up the steps and stood there realizing what you said.

"You miss me?" He asked smiling softly as he looked back at you.

"Everyday, but you never call." You explained as you looked him in the eyes.

"I've tried calling you but I never know what to say. I'm afraid I would only bother you." He admitted as he walked back over to you and sat down next to you.

"You never bothered me, to be honest I wish you would call." You smiled looking as him he chuckled as he both looked into each other's eyes.

"As of now we're friends, tomorrow we might me enemies, the next day we might love each other. That was our problem Marshall, it was never the fact that you were gone a lot. It was that we could never understand what we were as a couple." You whispered making sure no one could hear your conversation.

"Your right but that doesn't mean I still don't love you." He sniffed as he looked down at his hands.

You sighed and nodded your head sitting in silence. 

"You still love me?" You questioned as the realization hit you of what he said.

"Yes, but the more I try to get to you the more we crash apart, just like bumper cars." He spoke as he came closer to you.

"Just one more kiss, I promise you don't have to talk to me anymore. You can just come up here and get our son and not say a word to me. Give me a cold stare act like I don't exist, but please let me exist in your heart for one more time." He pleaded as he leaned in.

You could feel his breath on your face. You inched closer to him agreeing to his wish. You kissed him, you kissed him like you never had before. It was more of a longing, you've wanted him back for so long not thinking he felt the same. But you can't be together, it just wasn't meant to be.

He stopped kissing you and rested his forehead against yours. You where about to move until he stopped you.

"Wait not yet." He softly spoke as he slowly gave you one more peck on the lips.

"Good bye." He whispered sadly as he moved away from you.

"I'll go get him, hang on." He said as he walked back to your sons room.

When he left you felt a cold feeling around you. You heart was feeling as if it was breaking to a million shattered pieces. You suddenly felt hot tears coming down your cheeks. You heard two small feet running towards you so you looked over and saw your son running to you. Behind him you saw a stressed Marshall, confused and tired.

"Mommy what's wrong?" He asked as he gave you a hug.

You buried your face in his small neck and looked at Marshall.

"I just missed you buddy." You told him as you held onto your son.

You looked at Marshall with a teary gaze, he just looked back with a sorrowful face. He gave you one last small smile and turned around walking down the dim lit hallway.

That was the end of your love for each other, you both decided to be friends but nothing more. You did exactly what he said you would do, walk into his house with a cold stare and never said a word to him, but there was one thing you never did. Ever since the day you had your last kiss with him, he always existed deep in your heart and he knew it too.