(42) We Live And We Die |Scarlet's POV|

Thank you for 3k followers peeps!

It's mindblowing that there are three hundred people out there who actually find interest in something that I do and that makes me so happy :)))

Therefore, you have a double update a bit earlier than usual. I'll try to work out a few more chapters for the weekend but no promises. You know how I am - I write and post right away so...

Anyway, a huge Thank You from me!

~

Love,

Alsey

The city looked like a military camp. Patrols roamed the streets—some in their human forms with weapons tucked underneath their jackets while others had shifted into their wolves. More were inside the woods as they'd been charged with the task to guard our borders.

Scouts had been sent to watch out for the soulless and get back to us the moment they approached. The women, children and elders were all secured inside the community center.

However, even with all preparations done, the tension in the air was palpable. I could feel it—in the packbond as well as the matebond. He was nervous and so was I.

Regan walked next to me, one arm wrapped around my middle as we strode slowly down the street. Alpha August and Jason were following quietly a few steps behind us while Oracle was padding down the sidewalk with her hand resting on Michael's elbow which he offered gladly to the elder.

The vampire had his set of glasses hiding his face from the pale sun rays, his clothing of choice for the day—a pair of black denim pants and a sweater—having me wonder every time he stood in my line of vision if he had taken my advice to heart and that was the reason for choosing comfort over his emblematic suit.

Then again, we were all dressed in similar fashion so perhaps it wasn't comfort but necessity that guided our bodies into slipping on these clothes.

The man who had his arm around me had donned a similar outfit—a pair of jeans with legs tucked in combat boots, a hoodie and a black leather jacket on top while I had opted for leggings, a v-neck blouse and my own piece of leather this morning.

The recollection of that morning had me slowing down my steps. I shivered. I had still to box the dream into the depths of memory, somewhere no one could find it, but with the tension stirring up all around us I somehow doubted Regan was going to notice that I had one more reason to worry about what was coming.

And there was no doubt it was coming. With the sun setting early during winter and the fist trails of dusk on the sky, just looking at the bleak gray that was slowly covering up everything it felt like my time was running out too.

Our time.

I pressed myself tighter against him and let my eyes trace the path his hand was drawing in the air as he pointed at yet another security post in our track.