(10) A Sister's Heart*|Regan's POV|

I had no strength left

I had no strength left. All of it was gone, just like she was.

'I choose Lucas over you.' The words were echoing again and again like a curse that condemned me for eternity.

Her betrayal... I was too weak of a man to ever forgive it but if I didn't then I would be just giving up.

A week after she left me, my body was fully healed now; my heart was still hurting.

That wound wasn't going heal anytime soon. The part that was missing wouldn't just grow back.

"Regan, please, say something. Tell me what it is. What did she say to you..." her words disappeared in the silence of my mind. Everything was gone. I was gone.

Was it even possible to feel like you didn't even exist? Because I swear it was just how I felt without her.

A shadow. Nothing but a shell of a man to keep walking without seeing what laid in front of him. 

"Regan, please..." Arms that were wrapped around me, a body that was warm and caring, a voice I remembered from when I was a little boy.

Looking at her face, a face I'd hated for so long because of what she did, because of how she stood by him when she should have taken my side.

She'd been coming to this place every night. Watching the night by my side. Morphing into her wolf when I did. Echoing the howl of my broken heart alongside me.

My own sister who betrayed me just like my mate did. My own sister... one of the many people who hurt me in my life had finally returned back to me only to accompany me on my trip down misery lane.

To ruin.

Did I forgive her now when she was drowning herself freely in my misery? Or did I wait until I could let her seek her own happiness without her monster of a brother by her side?

It didn't matter. She was soon going to tuck me inside her precious memories and move on. Whether with or without my forgiveness.

Just keep going through the motions even if it's not real. Just keep placing one foot in front of the other even if you stumble. Just keep breathing in and out even if it hurts.

"She chose him over me. She chose him over her own mate." I decided to trust her tonight, sobbing the words out loud while the wolf inside me howled along, voices mixing in a song of longing and despair.

It hurts so much I'd rather just die.

"How could she choose him over her own mate, Christine?" I shouted.

Searching those clear blue eyes for the truth she had no way of knowing, I saw the tears forming inside them, pooling out and trailing down her face.

The forest around us was quiet, almost as if it had been deserted by its residents. Just like the weak alpha whose mate left him for another man, it was now abandoned. 

No sound could be heard but the soft whisper of the wind caressing the crowns of the trees and our own voices.

"Why does everyone I love betray me? Why do they always end up hurting me, Christine? Why did you do it?"

Body starting to shake with her own sobs breaking out, she drew apart from me, sorrow and regret in those eyes she'd always kept downcast in front of her alpha. Hiding her truth.

"Ever since Mother's death, you wanted to kill him, Regan. You knew nothing but you still wanted to kill him and... eventually you... ended up... causing his death."

"He deserved to die, Christine. Mom died because of him so don't--"

"No, Regan. She didn't. She was killed but she didn't die because of him. You didn't know anything and you never listened to me when I told you time and again that he wasn't a monster who would kill his own mate. You never believed me and eventually you ended becoming your own father's murderer when you left with more than half of his pack. Even if you didn't do it with your own hands, you left him to fend for himself when he never did anything wrong."

"He did many things that were wrong, Christine. To his own children and to his mate--"

"I know. He was harsh sometimes but he wasn't a monster, Regan!"

"Fuck! He was the definition of a monster!" Spitting out the words like they burned my tongue, my voice was rising along with my anger.

The anger that had been subdued for so long, was now overflowing all reason. The ebb turned into a flow. An expected rise which I realized was what she'd wanted from me all along.

Taking a breath in, I tried soothing the beast clawing inside of me, but then she came right back at me stronger. "You just don't know, Regan!"

"And you never told me what really happened that night or why you were so sure it wasn't his fault. You just stood by him and defended him but never explained why. You just kept your mouth shut about it and insisted that it wasn't him, big sis."

Shaking her head, the veil sliding down again, words that should have been spoken long ago died on her lips before she ever tried to say them. 

"And what were you going to do if you knew? How do you think you'd have won a battle that no one, not even Dominus could win?" she asked instead.

"I could have tried. I'd have--"

"You were going to get yourself killed, that's what you were going to accomplish. And you know what, Regan? The night they killed Mom, I was actually glad that Father had sent you to check on Lutter's pack. 

"That night, all I could ever think, besides that we were all going to die, it was about you - that you will live. It was my happiest thought then. But then, a week later you came back and blamed it all on Father."

"Then tell me, Christine. Tell me what happened!"

"Tell you so you can go get yourself killed now, so you can turn into a lunatic just like that suicidal vampire and start your own little war against them? Why the hell will I ever do that, Regan?"

"Because I--"

"Shut up," she cut me off and whirled away from me with a purpose in her steps.

"I have nothing to lose now, Christine," I called after her. "I have literally nothing to lose so it doesn't matter if I fail now."

Body turning rigid with tension, she glanced back at me, her face, illuminated by the Moon, looked as pale as a ghost's. 

"You are an alpha, Regan! You have the pack and you have me and I'm not ready to lose my brother yet," she said before disappearing behind the trees.

Only she didn't know that with her gone I'd stopped caring about being either.