(29) When It Sucks |Scarlet's POV|

I believed it was some kind of karmic punishment, or perhaps, it was his punishment he gave me. For days, he seemed to ignore me. I dreamed about it. Consummation.

Now that I was fully healed from my wounds there was nothing to distract me from the fire inside me. I'd wondered what it was at first, but then I wasn't stupid. It took me time but eventually I had drawn the conclusion.

I was in heat. It was the only possible explanation to the dreams and the flair of sensations.

My breath stuck in my throat, my gums hurt from trying to keep the moans locked, it was how my body responded to him every time he got near me with his hormones, the hormones a male gave off to lure in the female. Yet, for the past week, he never came close enough to sate my need, he never caressed the agony away.

I'd waited for hours in his cabinet and eventually he came. We were on our own-my mate who wouldn't give me what I needed and I who wouldn't beg. Was it what he wanted me to do - beg?

As soon as he stepped inside, I closed the space to have my arms wrapped around him. Pushing my chest against his, I molded my body to his as my hands roamed over his hard chest. His muscles shifting under my fingers.

"I know, my love," he breathed into my hair, keeping his hands to himself, his lips nowhere near where I wanted them. He was still, so still he felt like a stone sculpture against me while I tingled all over just from how close he was to me.

"It's not time yet," he told me, closing his own fingers over my hands that tugged on the fabric of his shirt. I needed the damn thing off him but he wouldn't let me have even the smallest skin-on-skin contact.

A frustrated groan stole past my lips as he propelled me away from him gently. Denying me what I craved, himself.

"I have work to do and then I need to tend to the pack. I'll be back in a few hours," he said. I wanted to cry, beg him to stay here with me, and I couldn't.

I was his luna and he was an apex now. He had responsibilities that were more important than I was.

He bent over the desk, scanned through the pile of folders stacked on it, then retrieved one and turned to face me once more.

"I need you, Regan." I hated myself for pleading, for letting my desperation out. I hated that I could feel my lips pouting at him, begging him to kiss them. He kept his green eyes on me but they were guarded, somehow distant. It hurt more than anything he could say.

And then he blinked. He leaned over, his mouth landing on mine to give me a peck of touch for a split of a second. His hand rested on my shoulder only to push me off his way as he sidestepped me. Another whimper was released from my throat as it constricted from the flow of fire. The ghost touches were excruciatingly lacking and I needed so much more.

"I know, Scarlet, and I'm going to take care of it. Soon." I'd heard that before.

He brought his hand to my hair, letting it trail down barely grazing the texture. It was hard not to fall on my knees just then and beg him to soothe the ache inside me, beg like never in my life.