(22) Direction |Regan's POV|

"She's in no condition to be questioned, Regan. She's in a state that I can only presume that she has spent weeks out there starving and alone in the wild. She's not stable enough to go through an interrogation." Christine glared at me.

Standing at the entrance of her tent, she was blocking my way to keep her patient from me. It had been days since we found her. I couldn't wait anymore.

"I just need to ask her a couple of questions. She knows where Scarlet is," I tried reasoning with her, holding back the pleading note I knew my voice would take the moment I relaxed in front of her.

For weeks she had been the one to chase after me, beg for my forgiveness. I never gave it to her. I wasn't sure I had it in me to do that and eventually, she had given up. Perhaps, not given up but retreated to regroup.

We had acted like we were strangers to each other for so long that I no longer knew my own sister, what she was thinking or what she wanted. I knew nothing about the people who were important to me and it was all due to my oversight. I had been too occupied with my own issues to actually pay attention to anything else.

And I still hadn't decided what I was going to do with the woman standing in front of me.

"I know how you must feel, Regan," she started, placing her palm against my chest when I tried to sidestep her and make my way into the tent. "Believe me, I know. But you have to understand something. The woman in there can't go through one of your interrogations. She'll break under the slightest pressure and, being an Apex now, you won't be able to help but apply pressure."

"You're underestimating me, Christine."

"No! I'm not. I know how this works. Remember last time when a dozen wolves joined our pack?"

I did remember. It was a few months before father had sent me on my first trip outside the pack.

"It was no more than twenty wolves joining our pack, Regan, but do you remember father going into a rampage later?"

I nodded. Father had practically destroyed half of the packhouse with his sudden outbursts of anger. However, that hadn't been unusual for him with his temper. "So, what are you getting at with this? Do you think I'll suddenly flip and go crazy just because of a few new members joining the pack?"

"A few?" She snorted. "It's more, like a thousand new members, but anyway, back to the point. I do in fact think that you can do that, Regan."

Exhaling a breath, I found myself astounded by her statement. "I'm not even sure I want to know how did you reach that conclusion. I'm not our father, Christine. I'm nothing like our father."

"You weren't but now you're closer to what he was than you're willing to admit and you forget that as soon as my healing abilities were discovered I was charged with taking care of him. I was the one who watched over him and the one he talked to when he would fight with mom," she paused long enough to breathe in, holding my eyes all the while.