Element XIII

What was that sound?

Rolling over, I tried to throw my blanket over my head to block out the sun only to realize I didn't have a blanket. Opening my eyes, I saw that I was still in the clearing from last night. Standing up and shaking my fur, I tried to remember what happened last night after my visit from Prince Julian.

To be honest, I can remember nothing. The last thing he said was I am the next Knight and then everything goes black.

BOOM!

There was that sound again. What is it? Taking a step forward, my nose was immediately picked up the smell of sawdust. Edging closer to the other side of the clearing. I saw a man assulting a tree. Choosing to sit down and watch him, he attacked the tree with the grace of a dancer but the power of a mac truck. It was clear that he was training but it was unclear who he was.

"Finally, you're awake."

That voice. It was Prince Julian. I had only ever seen him in wolf form but I have to say, his human form was even scarier if that was possible. This man had muscles on top of muscles and even that was an understatement.

"Helen, are you okay?"

Snapping out of my thoughts, I looked up at him and gave him a nod.

"Good, now why dont you go change behind that tree over there and we will get started on your training."

Looking to whever he was motioning, I saw some sweats and a t-shirt draped on a fallen log and made my way over towards it. Grabbing the clothes with my teeth, I quickly shifted behind the tree and changed.

"Isn't my family going to notice that I'm gone and you do know that I can't miss school today right?" I asked as I walked over to where he was standing.

"I know. It's only 5am so we have two hours before your family wakes up and you have to be at school so lets get started."

"I thought you said, Rebecca was going to train me?"

"She is but I have to see how much you already know first. If I can gage your ability now, it might tell me how much harder it is we must train you so you can become ready. Now, first thing first. Your stamina. 14 Laps around the clearing is equal to a mile so I want you to run until you are tired. Begin."

"Wouldn't this be better if I was in wolf form?" I asked as I began to run with Julian watching me.

"No, your wolf form is only as strong as your human form. Whatever you can do in your human form will double in your wolf form. So we train your human, then we train your wolf. Now, no more questions, run."

And that's exactly what I did. For the whole 2 hours. All I did was run. So many times I wanted to stop but Julian's words kept ringing in my ears. Train my human, train my wolf.

"Okay. Wrap it up. You have school in an hour and you need to get back to the house before the others notice."

Panting while grabbing my side, I wobbled over to where Julian stood.

"T-That's all you g-got?" I asked while trying to catch my breath.

"Haha yeah that's all I got...for now anyways. Go home. I'll see you tonight."

"Tonight?" I asked curious.

"Yes tonight. I only got to see your cardio. I have to see how you fight. Now please go home before I have to say it again."

Nodding my head, I turned to walk away. With my first step I nearly cried out in pain. Looking down, I saw I had been running without shoes the whole time and I just now realized it. Knowing I had to suck it up, I changed back into my wolf and grabbed the clothes I had just shed in my mouth. Running all the way home. I made it back 25 minutes later. Rushing, I threw on the clothes without looking and headed inside.