Element III

III.

I ended up sleeping that day away. It wasn't until about four o'clock in the afternoon when I was awoken by some knocking at the door. As I got out of bed and made my way to the front door, I opened it to see two people standing there starring at my like they just saw a ghost.

"Can I help you?" I said quickly while trying to clear my throat of any trace that may suggest I just woke up.

"Ahh...yes, well you see, umm how do I say this?" the lady said while pursing her lips and looking at the man that stood to her right.

He immediately saw the pleading look the women was giving him and he quickly took charge. "Well actually where here because we're your aunt and uncle."

I must have given them a confused look because at the same time they both started launching into detailed stories that I couldn't even understand. Eventually I had enough and held up my hand and they both went quiet.

"One at a time, please." I said giving them frustrated looks.

The women was first to speak. "Well, I am Katherine and this is Robert," gesturing to the man beside her. "I was John, your father's sister."

"I didn't know my father had a sister." I said utterly surprised.

I quickly gave her all my attention and she continued. "I was his younger sister and the last time I saw you, you were just a little girl and Michael was just starting second grade. I know this must all be confusing but we tried to call you yesterday and you didn't answer. Can we come in so we can talk?"

I nodded my head and moved to the side so they could come in. They quickly assessed the place then made their way to the couch and took a seat. We never had company but I remembered my manners and asked if they would like anything to drink. They both replied that water would be fine and I found this as my opportunity to escape this rather awkward situation even if for just a moment and made my way to the kitchen.

As I quickly grabbed the water from the fridge and poured them each a glass, I found myself starring out the kitchen window wishing I could just run into the forest. To just escape it all. You never know, I read a couple books about living in the wild. It could be worth a shot even if it was a long one.

I quickly pushed that thought aside and made my way back out to the living room just in time to see my aunt admiring a painting on the wall.

"This is lovely, who painted it?" She asked turning to me when she heard me walk in.

"I did, it was my mother's garden back when she was alive." I then averted my eyes letting her know I no longer wished to talk about it and I took a seat on the couch.

As both my aunt and uncle took a drink of their water, they quietly watched me and I could tell they were dying to figure out how to start the conversation again.

I quickly cleared my throat and asked, "So are you here to put me in foster care?" I asked choosing to get straight to the point.

 "What? No! We heard of your father's death and we knew you were here alone so we came to get you." My uncle said clearly trying to get rid of any preconcieved thoughts I had.

"Came to get me? What are you talking about? How did you know I was alone?" I asked clearly confused.

"Well you see," my aunt quickly jumped in. "After your father's death, we were notified because we were next of kin and you were a minor with no legal guardian. We had no idea about your father's passing until yesterday morning so we jumped in the car and came as soon as we could."

"But how did you know I was alone?" Clearly not understanding it all.

"Well that was Michael's doing. He came and saw us a couple of weeks ago and told us how he moved out and was working now."

"Wait, you've seen Michael! Where is he? Will he be coming with us?" I asked as a spark of hope began to stir within me.

"Actually no he wont. We haven't seen him for about three weeks and if we knew things were this bad we would have come sooner but he was only with us for two days at most before he had to leave again." My aunt said giving me a sympathetic smile.

"Oh." Immediately that spark was put out and the lonliness started to creep back in.

"So I am guessing you are here to take me with you then?" I asked choosing to change the subject.

"Yes. We understand how hard this must be for you to understand but we can't just leave you. We came to get you so you could live with us." She said with some reservation in her voice.

Finally the realization of the situation hit me and a feeling of acceptance ran through me. Just yesterday I thought I had no one left and now these two strangers were claiming to be my aunt and uncle. Was it possible for me to simply accept that? What did I have to loose if I did?

"Okay." I said with nothing else to add.

"Okay?" My aunt said confused.

"Yeah, I understand the situation and I'll go. How soon do we leave?" I said looking back and forth between their confused faces.

"Wait, your willing to leave just like that? No yelling or fighting or telling us we're not the boss of you?" My uncle asked with a surprised look on his face.

"Nope, none of that. I have no friends, I no longer have any parents, my brother left a couple of months ago and just yesterday I thought I was completely alone in the world." I said. “Then you two show up at my door and I now realize I'm not." I finished with a shrug and looked up to see tears pooling in my aunts eyes and my uncle gently rubbing her back. The next thing I knew my aunt was sweeping me up into a huge hug as tears fell down her face.

"I'm sorry for crying dear." She said stepping back while wiping her tear-streaked face. "All this time you were here, and not once did we come to see you! I just feel horrible but I am so glad you have decided to live with us!" She quickly pulled me back into another hug and I quickly gave my uncle a pleading look at him for help.

At that moment he jumped up pulling my aunt off of me. "Honey, why don’t we give her a chance to breath and pack her things while you and me go make room in the car for her?" I gave him a grateful smile and he winked at me.

"I guess your right, we do have a long drive ahead of us. How about we stay here tonight as you get your things situated and we will leave first thing in the morning?" She said while taking his hand.

I quickly nodded and then I had to ask, "So where exactly are we going?"

"All the way up in good ole' Maine!" My uncle said giving me and enthusiastic smile.

All I could say was 'oh' and turned to walk to my room. At the last minute, I turned around and asked, "What are we going to do with the house?" Both my uncle and aunt looked at me and then proceeded to explain that they talked to the bank and with three more payments the house will be paid off. They then explained to me that they went ahead and paid the house off and it was my decision to do with it as I pleased. Nodding my head, I turned back around and headed towards my room to pack my things. I only packed what I wanted with me now and I knew I would return later for the rest.

The next morning we loaded their car and my jeep with everything I wanted to take. I quickly did a last minute walk through of everything and shut the door, locking it.  It was just now five in the morning and as the sun began to rise, I looked at the house that held all my memories, good and bad, for the last time. At that moment my heart broke because I was leaving the only home I have ever known. I reminded my self that things were going to be different now and I had to let go.

I quickly jumped in my jeep and we were off. Soon after we were on interstate with my aunt and uncle in the lead. The drive would take roughly sixteen hours but I didn't mind, it gave me just enough time to say goodbye to my old life and learn to accept my new one.