Chapter 8

She came to and immediately realized that she couldn't move. She was still dizzy from the attack didn't quite have her senses about her. She went to raise her hand to see if she was bleeding from where she'd been hit. It was only then that she realized she was tied to a chair in the center of her living room. She immediately began to panic and when she went to scream she realized that she was gagged. She was sure she was going to die and her first thought was that she didn't want Shannon to find her there dead. She felt the tears begin and she was hoping that by some miracle someone else would find her first. She didn't want this to be the way that Shannon would remember her. She found it amazing that her instant reaction was to pray. This was not something she had done with regularity, but she wasn't an atheist either. She had always believed in a higher power. Some kind of guiding force. If she was surprised by the fact that she was actually praying she was more surprised by the fact that it was calming her. It felt natural. Almost instinctive. Whether that calm was coming from a higher power or whether it was coming from some part of her psyche, she didn't know. It really didn't matter to her. She was grateful to have it either way. She was taken away from her thoughts when she heard a voice speaking behind her.

"So you back with us then? Alright good. I'm sorry I had to hit you but judging from the trophies, I have a feeling that you could probably kick my ass. I need you to listen to me and I need you to listen to me good. I have a strong suspicion that you and I have something in common. There's someone whose very life may well depend on how we handle a certain situation. I'm here because I think her survival is in your hands at this point. There's some people who suspect you may be involved in something you shouldn't be. I've made you a list and the names on it are all names that you're going to recognize. This is working in your favor in two ways. One way is to make sure that you watch what you say. The other way is to say what you want them to hear. We need to think of this as a game, and right now it's your turn. This is a game in which timing is critical. There's a very important timeline here that needs to be followed to a tee. There's an important piece of information coming your way. In it you'll find everything you need to end this and make sure that the responsible parties are held accountable. I'm sorry I have to do it this way, but I'm not quite sure that you would be able to hold off before all the pieces are in the right places. Acting too quickly on this would be as good as killing them both. Not to mention myself. I can't let that happen. I made her a promise and I intend on keeping it."

She heard footsteps and then her door opening. And closing.

'What the hell? What information? You didn't say what the information was. Cryptic much? And why didn't he untie me? God. I got to call Rose. And I gotta pee.'

"So, you wanna get out of here?" Shannon said to Vanessa.

Ness was well on her way to be drunk and Shannon knew that she would need to get her home quickly before she wouldn't be able to tell her where she lived.

"Where do you wanna go?" Vanessa asked.

"I was thinking your place maybe?"

"You got it." She leaned forward and tried to place a kiss on Shannon's lips. She moved backwards and stopped her.

"Are you crazy? I got a lotta people here know me. I don't wanna lose my meal ticket. We gotta wait till we get to your place."

"Alright then. Let's go."

"You got anything to drink at your place?"

"Yeah, I have beer, wine, couple bottles of whiskey, tequila."

"Perfect. Let's head out."

They drove to Vanessa's apartment and went inside. Shannon went over and took out two shot glasses and poured them each a shot of tequila.