Chapter 1

Life was good for Rose Dix. At the young age of twenty-five, the young attorney had built a reputation as one of the most promising up-and-comers in the State of Texas. Solo, she held a record of six to one judgements in her favor, and numerous victories as co-consel in the firm that currently employeed her. She felt herself incredibly blessed that she had the good fortune to work side by side with her former teacher and mentor, Cammie Scott. She had addmired Cam, not only because of her incredible knowledge and love of practicing law, but her dedication to helping those she felt needed and deserved representation beyond anything they would receive from any court appointed attorneys, but could never afford to hire.

Cammie often would represent them for little to no pay when she felt that they would not be represented properly or they were innocent of the crimes they had been accused of. Many of these cases were automatic appeals cases, in which sentencing of capital punishment was given. She was one of the few people who believed no matter the crime, everyone deserved forgivness.

Sitting here now, the reallity of what was happening hit Rose full force. She drew in a deep breath, held it for a beat and exhaled. Only then could she find the strength to open her eyes again. She found the light that hit her eyes was far to bright, it stung them and she had to squint against the bright sun it till they adjusted.

Rose looked around at the faces of those who were in attendance. Most of them she recognized. Cammie's family and friends , passing aquantences and colleagues, and of corse the media. They wanted there pictures and film footage, heartbroken and distraught attendees be damned. This was the big story after all. It horrified Rose. The heartlessness behind their actions vicious and cruel. The clicking of their cameras, the sounds of their voices as they gave narratives to their film footage of a grieving mother and father, the sight of an inconsolable husband, collapsed and broken, as they lowered the body of his beloved wife into the ground. All great stuff for the five oclock news.

Everyone deserves forgivness. That was Cammie's belief. Rose wondered if ever she could forgive the woman her killed her dearest friend and mentor. Could she ever understand why? And what of the person whom Cammie saved from death in the appeal hearing? The one who killed the eight year old son of the mother who felt that someone had to die for his crime?

"If not the murderer himself, then the one who saw to it that his life was spared. Someone needs to pay."

That's what she said outside the courthouse right before she emptied the chamber of the .45 into Cammie's back. How could she ever forgive them?

"I don't think I can" Rose said to herself in a whisper. "But I have to try, It's what she would want."

THREE MONTHS LATER

"Hey, Rose, Stevie wants you in her office," Chrissy called out as she walked past her to the office break room, masking tape and black sharpie in hand, prepared to label all of her food and drink items in the fridge.

"You out of post-its Chrissy?" Rose asked as he past her.

"No, but apparently they don't stick to things in the refrigerator due to like condensation or something, and some people have a hard time remembering what is theirs and what's not," she answered, throwing a dirty look at Ally who was eating a moon pie and drinking a red bull that she claimed she thought she had brought in.

"Calm down you little monkey. If you're that pissed of about it sue me. You're an attorney right? Oh wait, I forgot,.You aren't an attorney are you? It's that pesky Bar exam that you cant seem to pass that's holding you back right? What is it now, your fourth try? Well if it's any consiltion I hear Guiness Book is looking for its 2019 entries. You might want to call them. I hear you get fifty dollars and a free copy of the edition your record is in."