Chapter 7

Rose smiled at the police officer who was standing in front of the door of the private room that Rosie was in.

"Hi, I'm Maggie Thomas and I'm here on security detail for Rosie Spaughton," she said.

She flashed her badge and the officer smiled and said, "Well there you go sweetie. Right in there.Youre a cute little thing for a prison guard now aren't you?"

"What?" she asked confused.

"Well it ain't exactly what you picture for a prison guard," he said staring at her chest.

"Well I'm flattered," she said glancing downward to her breasts, which did look pretty damn good in this uniform, "but still I think it's inappropriate. So, if you don't mind I'm going in there," she said pointing to the door.

"Okay, no problem, and if you need any help, I'm right outside. You just call out and I'll come on in," he said winking an eye at her.

"Well I do appreciate the offer, but I've got my spray and my, stick thing here," she said wiggling her billy club in her belt, "and I've been trained to use it so it's not likely I be calling you anytime soon." She turned to enter the door.

She wasn't prepared for what greeted her when she opened the door. The sight of Rosie caused her to stop short. Her hand immediately went to her chest and covered her heart. She took two deep breaths and proceeded forward.

"God, what the hell did they do to you?" her voice cracking.

She approached the bed and tentatively lifted a hand to her face. She let her fingers brush over the side of her face stopping at the point where the swelling had become so bad that were she awake she probably couldn't have opened her eye. She closed her eyes tight, allowing the tears there to escape. Swallowing deeply and taking in a deep breath she allowed her eyes to open yet again before resuming her delicate mapping of the woman's face with her fingers.

"Why don't they just leave you alone?" she said, her voice unable to hide the pain she was feeling at that moment.

"Just stop hurting her," she said. Her body now racked with silent cries. "Just stop, stop. Leave her alone." She went down on one knee and held her uninjured hand to her face as she let the pain of what she was witnessing free. "Please," she said between sobs, "please don't hurt her anymore... Just leave her alone!" she yelled, not caring if she was heard. Her body shook with the force of the emotions that she could not control. "Just stop...just... God."

She felt the drops again, only this time they were different. They felt warm and comforting rather then cold and ominous. There was something else too. The feeling in her hand. A warming sensation that started in her fingers and continued down her hand. She looked to the sky again and the clouds where beginning to dissapate. The sun was beginning to break through, its rays forcing back the darkness and cold. The warming sensation was growing stronger too. It worked its way down her wrist and into her arm. She looked skyward again and she thought she could see it. It was just barely there, but there none the less. The family of ducks was once again visible. Harley once again pointed to the sky, no longer crying, but smiling and dancing with excitement. She had seen them too. And the warming sensation had worked its way up her arm and into her chest, making its way to her heart and spreading the warmth thorough her entire being. She was alive once again. With this new birth she found something else had made its way in. A feeling she had thought was lost to her forever. For the first time in what seemed a lifetime Rosie felt hope. And as she opened her eyes she saw her there. Rose was there holding her hand. She spoke the name and Rose looked up and into her eyes.

"Are you real or is this a dream?" Rosie asked.

"No, I'm here Rosie. I'm right here," Rose answered.