18) Mudblood

Mudblood. That was one word I’ve heard spat my way a thousand times. Only one person had ever stuck up for me. As I sat by Draco’s side in the hospital wing, Madame Pomfrey was quick to heal his broken nose and clean the blood off of his face.

      ‘It isn’t common to see a Gryffindor stay by the side of a Slytherin,’ Madame Pomfrey commented soon before Draco was healed.

     ‘We’re childhood friends,’ I said quietly as Draco couldn’t talk yet. ‘I don’t discriminate by house. Even if Draco sometimes does.’

     Draco looked at me with a frown and I smiled.

     ‘You know, Draco, this is how …  Harry … felt when you stepped on his nose,’ I mentioned, feeling the eyes of the sick around us staring at me. ‘And he almost got sent back to London,’ I continued when Madame Pomfrey had left to get one more thing for Draco.

     ‘The world’s going to turn to crap soon,’ Draco said out of the blue.

     ‘What do you mean?’ I asked.

     ‘We might die,’ He said, his blue eyes piercing into mine. ‘This isn’t play time anymore. It’s all real now!’

     ‘Draco, you’re scaring me,’

     ‘I’m scaring you?’ He said, sitting up quickly. ‘Look around, Ellie! The state of Hogwarts should be scaring you! I’m just trying to say this silence may not last forever. The Dark Lord’s always had something planned, you know that! You should; you’re his favourite.’

     ‘Draco, I don’t want to talk about this – ‘ I said, getting up but Draco’s hand catching mine.

     ‘What I want to say is will you be with me when it happens?’ Draco asked, his mean exterior absent.

     ‘When what happens?’

     ‘When Harry Potter is found and The Dark Lord rules?’ He said, squeezing my hand hard.

     ‘Stop it, Draco! Please!’ Tears started to well up in my eyes and I didn’t want to be seen crying in front of another. ‘I’ll always be with you,’ I said, giving in. ‘You know that.’

     A few months strolled by of students glaring and hating me. But I tried not to let any of it get to me. Draco in my life was enough to keep me going at Hogwarts. If I could’ve had it my way, I would have dropped out and got a job in the muggle world. The pressure of Hogwarts was giving me anxiety and I thought I would’ve liked to have a dark school because I dress gothic when I’m not in my robes, but it was all fantasies. I never wanted it to come true; I liked a bright, happy Hogwarts.

     Pansy Parkinson was the only one that avoided my gaze and steered clear of me in the hallways. It was a god sent that the library wasn’t so popular anymore, giving Draco and me a perfect place to hang out and talk, among other things.

     A few issues of The Daily Prophet announced a sighting of the infamous and most wanted Harry Potter but no captures or evidence. Those articles stressed me out every time I spotted Harry’s name in the paper. It was unfair for a seventeen year old boy to go through everything that’s happening now. I often wondered where he actually was and how he was going by undetected by the Ministry, Death Eaters and Snatchers. I had a brand new respect for him.

     ‘Excuse me,’ a Snatcher came in when we were in the middle of a Dark Arts lesson. ‘May we borrow Hopkins for a moment?’

     The Snatcher’s dark eyes leered at me, making me feel scared and uncomfortable.

     ‘Of course,’ Professor Carrow said without a care. ‘Hopkins, go!’

     Draco looked worried as I looked back at him. The Snatcher grabbed me by the arm and pulled me out of the classroom.

     ‘What do you want?’ I snapped at him when we were alone in the corridor.

     ‘It’s not me that wants you,’ he said, his filthy teeth bared as he smiled. ‘It’s him.’

     Before I could say a word, I was being suffocated as I travelled to an unknown destination by the Snatcher.