13) Crashing The Party

When I apparated home, the image of Draco’s sad face burnt into my mind. Before I disappeared after The Dark Lord told me what he wanted me to do instead of killing the Minister for Magic, Draco stood quickly but he was too slow.

     I think I knew he wanted to talk to me, that’s why I disapparated so quickly but I couldn’t bring myself to say a word to him. Not now.

     Hedwig nicked his beak at my arm again; like she always did when she was bored or hungry. Although she never intended on actually biting my skin, she had a few times when I was ignoring her. My house and the muggle streets around were deathly silent the next day until a barge at the front door made me jump up in bed.

     I scrambled to put on my morning robe before rushing down the stairs and swinging the door open to the non-smiling sallow face of Severus Snape, hands formerly behind his back.

     ‘Oh,’ I said, trying to cover myself up. ‘What are you doing here?’

     ‘Nice to know that’s how you treat your elders in the muggle world,’ he scowled down at me, studying me up and down.

     ‘I just wasn’t expecting you, Professor,’ I choked out the last bit. ‘What can I do for you?’

     Snape held up a handful of black and pink material and showed something of a smile.

     ‘What’s this?’ I asked.

     ‘I believe they call it a dress, Miss Hopkins,’ he spat out bitterly. ‘The Dark Lord told me to deliver it for you,’

     Taking it from his pale hands, I held it in front of me. ‘Couldn’t have ironed it before delivering it? You know there’s a spell for that,’

     ‘Yes, but with you I didn’t dare take out the time,’

     I glared up at him. ‘Thanks,’ He quickly slammed his foot between the door as I tried to shut it in his face. ‘Anything else?’

     ‘Yes,’ he said, pushing the door open. ‘I am ordered to escort you there,’

     ‘Fine,’ I said, leaving him to close the door behind himself.

     It was a Saturday and my parents were out. Father was at work and mother was out visiting old friends. Goodness knows why; I grew up in the muggle world yet I still couldn’t understand why they do what they do. I did think it weird to be alone in my own house with one of my Professors, getting changed into a formal dress.

     ‘Any shoes to go along with this?’ I called out after I had changed into the dress and magically unknotted my hair and curled it perfectly, along with make-up and a long black and pink striped arm band to cover my Dark Mark. I wore the dress with pale stockings, the dress just finishing above my knee. It was low cut, but didn’t show too much cleavage. I found myself adoring it in the mirror.

     As I entered the kitchen, Snape was still standing in my living room, now holding out a pair on black, toeless heels. I sighed as I snatched them from him, hating the idea of wearing any type of heels that made it hard for me to run away. I just wished this job The Dark Lord gave me didn’t go for too long.

     As I stumbled in my three-inch heels Snape probably picked out for me to watch me fall, literally, I quickly fed both Hedwig and Tyto, keeping Hedwig hidden in my bedroom, Snape held out his arm for me and apparated me to my destination.

     ‘The Dark Lord didn’t tell you to come to this event, too, did he?’ I asked as I clung onto Snape’s arm for support as my heels were sinking into the dirt we now stood in.