14) A Muggles World

Pushing the person off of me, I rolled over to my front and pushed myself to my knee’s.

     ‘Why the hell,’ I panted, breathing to calm my racing heart from the surprise I received. ‘did you do that, Draco?’

     Draco got to his feet and offered a hand but I didn’t take it.

     ‘Why?’ I pressed on, not leaving my spot.

     ‘You won’t answer any of my letters!’ He almost yelled at me. ‘I’ve been worried sick about you! The Dark Lord’s been angry at you ever since you took Potter away form him. It’s been hell here since you left!’

     ‘Do you think I’m stupid?’ I yelled back, standing up to face him. ‘Of course I knew He was angry at me! That’s why I didn’t want to come back here; I was scared out of my mind! I don’t want to be a Death Eater anymore. It’s all too much for me. Much more than I expected,’ I tried to catch my breath after saying all that. It felt good to tell someone how I’d been feeling.

     ‘You think it’s been any easier for me?’ Draco yelled back. ‘I’ve had to live here! The Dark Lord is always around! This is supposed to be a holiday for me, but it’s not! I’d much rather be in school. He let you off easy but he’s still been torturing me!’

     ‘What?’

     ‘He let you off because you’re his favourite but he still gets Wormtail to punish me!’

     ‘What are you talking about? Have you been hurt?’ I took a step towards him to check under his collar but he took a step back. ‘Let me look at you,’ I said, getting close enough to pull back his jacket collar to see scars and bruises.

     There was that smell again. The same aftershave Draco had been using since he shaved his first hair on his chin, and mint.

     ‘Do your parents know?’ I asked him, tracing his already healed and healing scars on the side of his neck.

     ‘Of course,’ Draco said bitterly.

     ‘Does Narcissa?’ I looked up at him.

     Draco paused and looked away before saying, ‘No. She thinks I’m studying in my room every time He orders that filthy Wormtail to take me down to the cellar.’

     The tragedy thickens. This was easily becoming too much for me. It was a bit much to know that innocent people were getting hurt during The Dark Lord’s plans, but it hurt me a lot more to know people I really cared about were suffering.

     ‘I’m so sorry, Draco,’ I said, not exactly sure what I was apologizing about.

     ‘You look nice,’ he said, looking me up and down.

     Wow. Even in heels, Draco was taller than me. He must have grown at least an extra inch since the last time I saw him.

     I couldn’t help hold back a stupid little giggle. ‘Thanks,’

     ‘Please stay,’

     ‘I can’t. My parent’s are probably wondering where I am,’ I said, hating to see the disappointment in Draco face.

     I could never really bring myself to tell Draco how much I thought of his home to be like mine, but I had to draw some barriers between us. He was getting hurt because of me and I wanted do be apart of this as little as I possible could. But I knew that was asking too much.

     I squeezed his arm affectionately, trying to apologize again to him, before I planned to disapparate back to my bedroom and pretend I was there the whole time. But I was quickly caught off guard as Draco leaned into me, aiming for my lips. But I quickly swerved to kiss him on the cheek.

     And I admit, the kiss on his cheek did linger for a bit too long but I couldn’t stand to kiss him on the lips again and then leave. I quickly wrapped him in a tight hug, and he happily took it instead of the kiss. He wasn’t pressuring me, which was nice to get from a guy for once.

     A few moments later, I was standing in my bedroom, still smelling Draco’s sweet scent. The first thing I did was take off the wretched heels Snape gave me. One hour in them was long enough to make me feel like my feet were about to kill me.

     Not bothering to change out of the formal dress, I slipped into a pair of comfortable sneakers, grabbed my muggle music contraption they called an ‘iPod’, and left the house. The muggle streets of London were calming. The loud noises didn’t bother me none as metal music blasted in my ears.

     After buying some greasy muggle food and walking around aimlessly, I almost crossed the road to a terrible sight walking down the street. Harry, Ron and Hermione were rushing down the street, still in their formal clothes, walking closer towards me. I quickly ran back off the road and tried to hide myself behind the people as I walked away. But I stopped, thought, and turned to walk in the same direction they were.

     I stopped as the trio turned into an alleyway, and hid as they changed. They weren’t doing such a good job at hiding. I watched them as they walked for a little longer before turning into an empty coffee shop. What were they doing? At that moment, they were fugitives with probably hundreds of people looking for them. The Dark Lord works fast.

     Two men I recognized, but couldn’t place where, were wearing muggle uniforms and turned into the same coffee shop the trio were in. I thought it strange to recognize muggles on the street as the only muggles I hang around were my parents. As I tried to rack my brain to figure out where I’d seen the muggles before, it finally clicked and I knew I had to do something.

     They weren’t muggles at all; they were those two Death Eaters that talked to me back at the wedding and the one that smacked me on the butt. I shivered as I tried to think of something to do to help them. From where I was, I could only see their backs but one of them was slowly pulling out his wand.

     Oh no. I only hoped that Hermione would at least notice this as she also sat with her back towards me. I couldn’t watch this and I didn’t.

     I figured they would do fine on their own. Hermione was a smart girl, and kind to me for some reason, and they could handle running from the wizarding world. It’s not like I made Harry the most wanted in our world. It wasn’t my fault. I didn’t want to cause such a scene around muggles, either, and to be honest, I didn’t have my wand on me at that moment.

     Remembering that, I felt useless and headed back home, somehow feeling guilty for leaving Harry with those Death Eaters.