7) Up In the Owlery

As I trudged up to the Gryffindor Common Room, the halls were empty enough to let me be alone with my thoughts. But I didn’t want to be. Everything was starting to crash down all around me and nothing was protecting me from it. I was starting to get dizzy from the mere thought of everything; I almost didn’t hear someone’s drawling voice call out to me.

     ‘Huh?’ I said as I was in front of the Fat Lady’s portrait, turning around to see Snape standing there.

     ‘I said come with me,’ said Snape, his navy robes billowing behind him as he walked away.

     Jogging to catch up, I tried to think of something I might have done that would make Snape need to talk to me or maybe he was trying to give me a last detention before I left for the holidays. I was always good in his classes; he scared me a little and he loved nothing more than to take points away from a Gryffindor and a fellow Death Eater who was younger than him. I had never done anything wrong since I was in second year and Snape made it abundantly clear not to screw around in his classes.

     My heart skipped at the thought of Draco being around in the castle somewhere and I was openly walking the halls. As well as the thought of Harry walking around, too, made me want to leave already and crawl in a dark corner.

     ‘Before you ask,’ Snape said, barging through the door to his office and gliding behind his desk. ‘You are not in trouble.’

     I sighed in relief before asking, ‘So what do you want?’

     My blunt question caused Snape to look up at me with heavy eyes. ‘The Dark Lord said for me to heal your wounds, Miss Hopkins,’

     ‘Oh,’ I said, looking down at the ground, relieved I wasn’t in trouble.

     ‘Sit,’ Snape ordered, holding up a small bottle of a black, almost transparent potion.

     As Snape knelt down next to me to trace my ugly wounds with the potion, his black eyes concentrating to make my skin perfect again, I wondered if I should bring up the scene at Malfoy’s Manor, when Snape and I had a little fight about nothing.

     ‘I was thinking,’ I said, instantly regretting it as Snape’s black eyes looked expectantly into my blue ones. ‘About yesterday. I’m sorry for saying those things to you. I didn’t mean them.’

     Snape looked taken aback by my apology. I had never apologized about anything to Snape, not even in class. I might have muttered ‘sorry’ to him a few times when he would make the moment awkward for me as everyone in the class stared but that’s all he’s ever heard me say from my soft side.

     ‘That’s alright,’ he said, still like his cold self. But his eyes looked a little softer than usual.

     A few quiet moments went by with my eyes closed to his soft touch as he reached the end of the wounds around my eye.

     ‘Unfortunately,’ he said, standing up. ‘The damage was done by a very well performed spell. It will never completely heal as it is too deep into the skin – ‘

     ‘It’s going to be here forever?’ I interrupted him, shocked and frowning. ‘Like a scar?’

     ‘Yes,’

     Crap.

     ‘I’m sorry. I can honestly say I have done the best I can,’ said Snape.

     I looked away at the floor, trying to comprehend the information of having two horrible scars on my face for the rest of my life.

     ‘They’re hardly noticeable. They are thin.’