Chapter 21

*Liam's P.O.V*

"What number?" Harry asks from behind me as we walk through the corridor of the complex Remi lives in.
"He lives in apartment 307" I answer pointing to the end of the long passageway ahead of us.

Harry has high hopes on Remi. He didn't tell me, but I know he has. His eyes shimmered with hope when I told them what we were doing here. I don't blame him, we don't have much time left and the amount of options we have are to count on one hand. On one finger to be precise.

There still is a chance that this will not work, a big chance. But it is worth the risk, seeing this is our last shot. It will only bring us closer to Madison, not kill the enemy. Geoff needs to be stopped. He cannot get away with this.

Our footsteps echo through the corridor. The a-rhythmic taps on the floor filling the space as it is the only sound sounding, besides us.
We're only two doors away.

"307", I hear Niall say as I turn towards the closed door in front of me. I take a deep breath as my hand reaches for the door bell.

Ding-dong, the familiar door-tune went as Harry tapped me on the shoulder.

I turn around to see a pained look on Harry's face. His eyes are red, he has dark circles around them and looks rather tired. He hasn't slept in days, I know it. We were barely home, but when we were, he'd refuse to rest. He thinks every second he would spend sleeping is a second he could have found a way to save her.
His mind was always occupied. He doesn't eat either, it eats him.
I know that he might have already given up, he had a few days ago, I noticed it. But he still hopes, and as long as there still is time, he will refuse to give that up.
His heroic attitude inspires me, but he doesn't have to act strong for his friends. Not for me, not for anyone.
I know he will anyway.

"Do you think this will work?"
His hopeless look makes me feel sorry for him again. Of course there is no guarentee and certainty of succeeding.
I can't lie to him.

"I don't know," I honestly say, "I'm sorry."

His gaze falls and he sighs deeply. I notice how his breath is shaking as he is probably on the verge of crying.

I just ruined his last bit of hope.

"But we need to try" I add, seeing my best friend looking back to me sternly controlling the tears in his already watery eyes.

I turned back to the sound of a door opening and waited for the person behind on the other side to reveal himself. My chest made a quick sigh of relief that left my mouth turning my lipcorners upwards. A slim, small figure appeared in the doorway. He pushed his glasses further on his nose and I saw that familliar smirk that had grown on me during our time in school.

"Remi!" I exclaim, spreading my arms to engulf my old friend in a hug. "Liam!" He also exclaims as he accepts my gesture and hugs back.
"It's been a long time, glad you called", Remi adds once we separated.
I nodded, "yeah, wow, look at you man! I missed you."

I studied Remi's face, he changed a lot over the years. We kept contact, of course, but we never really met anymore.

He looked over my shoulder at the four lads behind me. "So this is your band right?" He asks pointedly to them. "Yeah, Remi, this is Harry, Louis, Zayn and Niall", I introduce, my friends follow, and hello's and hi's are said randomly.
Remi chuckled and took a step back.

"So, you want to come in?" He asks stepping aside to let the others and me pass. We all stay in place.
"yeah, Remi," I start, stepping over his doorstep. I turn to come face to face with him. "About that..." I pause and a sigh escapes my mouth. I turn my head to Harry. He nodds slowly, he knows we have to try. That is my cue to focus back on Remi.