Chapter 13

Chapter 13

I woke up late. The morning came too soon. I knew that I only slept for about six hours. I hurriedly finished my hygenic routine without leaving my face to look like a complete mess.

My parents were discussing something before I went to the kitchen but it was suspicious. Their murmers and whispers died down as soon as I stepped in the kitchen. The rest of breakfast was quiet until my mom and dad went back to their "normal" selves.

I took Orion on the way to the orchard. I gave him apples instead of sugar(but I set some aside in my pocket just in case). I knew he was probably as tired as I was, so I decided for him to stay at the stables today. Uncle Francisco was there to take care of Orion for me.

I passed by Katie's house just in time as she kissed Aunt Martha good bye. She saw me as she left and I joined her towards the field.

We were by the apple trees, picking apples that morning. Katie and I were assigned to pick them then delivering them to the storage house before lunch. We agreed to get some for Aunt Martha's apple pie and for Orion's lunch.

All morning, I knew that I was distracted. My thoughts were drifting away to what Daniel had said the night or rather dawn before.

It was a strange request but then again, everything's been strange this summer. Him, the Whitlocks, the Knights' visit, and even my parents seem strange lately.

'What does he want? Why does he want to "own me for a day?" That's completely ridiculous! I'm not an object! "Think of it as if I'm borrowing your time for a whole day tomorrow" he said. Is he really serious? What is he up to?' I argued with myself, subconciously. I have made a resolve to stay clear from the Knights, especially Daniel.

I shook my head and my thoughts away. I was with Katie on the way to their house. When we went inside, Aunt Martha was at the kitchen.

"Mama, Eve and I brought apples from the orchard today." Katie said as she ran to give a hug to her mother.

"Oh wonderful! Set them by the table dear." she said to Katie, who then followed obediently.

"Hey Auntie." I said as I placed my own basket of apples on their table.

"Hello Eve. Please come by here before going home. I'll give you pies for your family. By the way, how are your parents? Are Helen and John doing okay?" she asked while getting back to getting her pie preparations.

"Yes. My parents are doing fine. They're really happy about me staying for summer." I said happily.

"Of course they would! They're your parents."

"They know I won't be here as much as I'd like to when I go to college. I will really miss this place and everyone of you." I said with a sigh.

"Don't talk like that Eve! College isn't here yet. Live today to your fullest and stop worrying so much about the future. It can wait and it will come." she said with words of encouragement as she warmly smiled at me.

I nodded and she was satisfied.

Katie suddenly asked, "Are you joining us for lunch?"

"I can't. I have to go to town today. I want to see if they have some new paint, brushes and canvasses." I appologetically stated.

"I've never seen you paint again Eve. Something inspiring you?" Aunt Martha asked.

'Something or maybe someone... Oh, stop it Eve! You're being delusional right now. There is nothing and no one.'

"I don't know. I just missed it and I haven't really had time to practice anymore because of school." I reasoned but not in complete truth.

"Maybe you can show it to us sometime." she said.