Chapter 16

Chapter 16

"So that's why you won't go?" Zia asked, a bit bewildered about what I just told her.

I slowly nodded in reply.

"Okay. Let me get this straight. So, you're telling me that you won't go because your parents won't allow you to acquaint yourself with the Knights." she said in repitition of what I just told her.

"Yes, but there's more."

"More?"

"Do you remember before we welcomed the Knights, you told me that you saw Daniel looking at me so familiarly from across the table during lunch?"

She nodded upon the remembrance of the memory.

"Well, it's because I already met him before that." I stated with nervousness.

"You met him before?"

"Yes, but I didn't know he was a Knight! We met at night when I arrived in town. It was purely coincidental. He was lost near my tree and we argued and met each other." I explained.

"Eve. . . I can't believe this." she said with a frown.

I was nervous because she looked mad at me.

"I can't believe you didn't tell me this before I forced you to welcome him with me!"

'What?'

"You're not mad at me?" I asked, unsure and bewildered.

"I am, but only because you didn't me about this. I wish you would've told me. If I had only known, I wouldn't have let you put through with it." she said with regret. "I am so sorry."

"I'm sorry too. It wasn't your fault that he and I met and that I didn't tell you. I chose not to tell you because I thought that it wouldn't matter this much." I honestly confessed.

"But it did." she added shortly.

"Yes, it did. I met him again at the same place the night after you introduced me to Jonathan. It's too coincidental but it happened anyways. We were still strangers but because of the constant bickering and him saving me twice from falling off a tree,"

"You fell from your tree?!" she asked with exaggeration.

I nodded and continued, "We then became friends. He introduced himself as Daniel but he didn't mention being a Knight. So, when you told me about their family, I thought that it couldn't be him and I could never have been more wrong to think that.

"When I went home, my parents forbade me to come near them but I received a note from him before I left the orchard. I stood him up but went to checked if he went back here, but he was still waiting for me at my tree.

"He explained and wanted to remain as my friend, I did try to keep my distance and promise but I saw no reason to doubt him and refuse him my friendship so I accepted, until. . ." I said sighing.

"Until what?"

"Until Jonathan asked me to stay away from him." I answered, troubled.

"That's strange. Why would he say that?" she said as confused as I was.

"I don't know." I regrettably answered. "Now you know why I can't go even if I really do want to."

"But you can still go. You can just ignore them for the rest of the party." Zia suggested.

"It's easier said than done." I said, weakly. I slumped in my seat and sadly sighed.

"It must've been hard for you these past few days." she said, sympathetically.