Chapter 4

Chapter 4   

 "Zia, I really don't like this idea." I said as we stood in front of the living room door.

She had already made up her mind and begged me along the way to go with her and welcome their guests.

"Please Eve, do it for me? I can't do this without you." she pleaded, her hands holding mine.

"I don't even know what to talk about! They are really important guests, right? I don't want to mess this up for you-- I'm unsophisticated." I looked at her diffidently.

"Stop saying that! You're practically lovable!" she encouraged with a smile.

"You're just saying that so I would say yes." I amusingly accused her.

"I mean it. Come on!"

"B-But. . ." Before I could protest further, she opened the door catching everyone's attention.

"Good morning everyone. I'm sorry for my tardiness. This doesn't usually happen and I was informed rather late." she said as she walked in. Zia was effortlessly bright, elegant and composed.

I followed her in, managing to not stumble and make a fool of myself. I saw Lord Edward and Madam Eleanor having a look of surprise when they found me by the door closing it. I knew they never expected me to accompany Zia, but at the same time I knew that they understood from my expression that I was not expecting to be dragged into this as well.

I looked around and I saw two men standing in front of Zia: one was old and the other was young. The first one was about in his late sixties. He had a mustache, his hair was tied to the back, and had a strict but soft face. He was well suited so I figured that he was a butler.

"A pleasure meeting you miss." he bowed his head.

"Likewise Gerard." Zia replied.

The second was about our age. He had a tall and strong build, a strong jawline, and a gorgeous smile. He looked like royalty even though he's in a more casual look than his companion.

"An honor finally meeting you Ms. Zia Whitlock." he kissed her hand and smiled. "The honor is mine Mr. Jonathan Knight." she said, sounding flattered.

"Please, call me Jonathan." he insisted.

"Then calling me Zia will do just as fine." she said humoring him with her charm.

I squinted my eyes to take a closer look at the second guest, his face seemed strikingly familiar to me. I felt strangely attracted to him or I was just oddly curious about him. It was confusing. I was pulled back to the present when Zia called me to come next to her.

"This is my dearest friend Evelyn Faye Brookes. You will be seeing her very often here in the manor. I will be more comfortable knowing that you know more people in the manor other than me and my family." she said with much warmth and honesty.

"Good day to you gentlemen. Please, call me Eve." I smiled shyly, trying to sound as formal as possible and I blushed with embarrassment after being introduced.

"Good day to you Ms. Brookes." Gerard merely bowed at me and persisted calling me Ms. Brookes.

Jonathan took my hand and lightly kissed it before saying, "I am looking forward to seeing you more often here Eve."

I flush like Zia did before and replied to his greeting with a shy smile.

"Mr. Knight-- I mean Jonathan, could you please care to explain why you arrived earlier than planned." Zia said, cutting in after clearing her throat, giving me a chance to recompose myself.