Chapter 31

Chapter 31

My heart beat was ringing through my ears and my nerves were crackling inside me that I thought I stopped breathing. "What?"

"You heard me."

I slowly recoiled my hand away from his.

"But you. . . you couldn't do that. You possibly couldn't have done anything like that!" I strongly implied. Daniel or even Xander can't do something so violent.

He looked at me with the saddest expression written on his face, as if he had lost something so precious— the look of a person who was deeply scarred.

"But I did; and I lost you because of it." he stated, melancholic. His eyes were regretful and unwavering.

Wait. He lost. . . me?

He lost me.

I still couldn't believe what he had said. He is gentle and he cared despite the times he had emotionally hurt me. He couldn't possibly. . .

I gasped with my hands covering my mouth. I remembered my past dream about Xander-- the first one. He was apologizing and looking so vulnerable as tears cascaded over his gentle features. Then there was blood— blood on his face and hands.

'No! No! No! This is all my fault! I should've told you the truth. Please forgive me Olivia. . . I -I betrayed you.' His words began echoing through my head.

A tear caressed my cheek as it fell down.

He didn't mean that he. . . he killed me, right? He wouldn't. He couldn't.

After seeing my face grim from the hazy memory, Daniel stood up, clenched his fists and strayed his eyes from mine saying, "You. . . you should get some rest and eat."

He began walking away.

"That's all you can say?" I asked, making him stop. "After what you just told me, yo-"

"I'll see to it that Gerard accompanies you back home safely." he stated, changing the topic.

"Daniel, stop. Why do you always do that?"

He didn't answer.

"Every time I try to reach out to you, you would turn away. You won't answer me completely. You say you're being honest now but why won't you clearly explain anything to me?"

"Because. . . I have to; and you should know by now that I'm not someone who you should be with." His lips were set into a thin line. There was no hesitation in his voice.

With that being said, he left.

My eyes linger at the door— it's closed state was the very representation of my desperation while the empty room reminded me of my isolation. I was alone once again.

The cup of tea in my hands was spreading its warmth throughout me. It's aroma pledging to soothe and comfort me but unable to do so with my heart. Feeling numb, I barely finished it or my food.

As I got out of the room, I went straight to the stables. If there was anyone who could understand me in my silence it would be my constant companion, Orion.

He can't talk back to me but he can listen. Right now I just need someone to listen. But I didn't find him there. Instead, I found Uncle Francisco, Aunt Martha, and Katie, waiting for me. They told me their worries and that Orion had been taken home since I will be escorted back. Uncle Francisco told me that a car has been waiting for me out front to bring me back home. And what they told me were true. Gerard was standing there waiting for me as he ushered me to get in the car.