Chapter 34

Chapter 34

I looked up and saw the stars twinkle across the vast night sky. The cold breeze kissed my cheek as it carried the scent of the crisp summer leaves and wild flowers. I snuggled closer into the blanket and into the warm pair of arms embracing me. Daniel kissed my head and sighed with content. He relaxed himself and set his eyes on me, softly looking at me with fondness. Minutes have passed but his burning gaze felt like it was scorching my skin on fire.

"What?"

"Nothing." his lips curved up into a small smile.

"You've been staring at me for a while now."

"Have I?"

"Yes. It was like you're burning a hole through my head."

He chuckled.

"What is it?" I softly asked, tightening my hand which was holding his.

He smiled and caressed my cheek, a sad look came upon his kind face. "It's just that. . . I never thought I would be together with you like this again. It feels like a dream. It's too surreal. I'm afraid that I might wake up and won't ever see you again."

Hearing him say that with such a tormented look in his eyes made my heart ache. I never wanted him to feel that when he's around me. I don't want him to see me as a reminder of his suffering. If I could only take away his grief and take it as my own, I would.

"Hey," I took his hand from cheek and entwined my fingers between his as I looked him straight in the eyes, my voice filled with my conviction. "This is not a dream. I am really here with you-- in this moment-- right now. I might not be next to you all the time but you know, it's impossible for me to ever leave you because I will always yours and I'll always be here," I set our hands over his heart.

He smiled at me then gently brought his lips on mine, sending sparks all over my body. "What did I do to deserve you?" he asked, before kissing me again.

I giggled at his question. "You existed."

He smiled, pulling me to him as his lips eagerly met mine. We settled back into each others arms, gazing into each other's eyes then back into the picturesque scenery before us.

As our comfortable silence grew, my thoughts wandered back to our unknown past. It bothers me not remembering all of it.

"What's wrong?"

I shook my head. "It's nothing much really. . ."

"Come on. Tell me. What is it?" he asked, looking down at me with concern.

I sighed. "Well. . . it's just that. I never remembered how we met before in the past. I wanted to know if it was as. . . silly as how we met at this time."

He chuckled. "It didn't hurt as much, I tell you that."

I playfully slapped his chest, laughing. "Hey! That was an accident."

"Sure it was." he mumbled.

"Falling off a tree is no joke, mister."

"Then don't be clumsy."

"I'm not clumsy!"

"Right." he scoffed. "Says the girl who fell off from a six feet branch twice which hurt me from falling, slapping or crushing almost every limb in my body."

I glared at him. "I FELL. And I only slapped you because you were extremely annoying and getting in my nerves very much like what you're doing now."

"Okay, okay. Technically, you did fall on me and I admit, I am sometimes annoying..."

"You got that right."