Chapter 29

The room was quiet, a bit too silent for anyone's liking. The sun had already set and there was an unnatural feeling of calmness in the air. Niall sighed, not at all feeling at ease with the darkness clouding his window.  He could hear the clatters of utensils against each other as his family ate dinner downstairs. Maura had long given up on calling him down for dinner since he had locked himself up in the room for more an a week now. 

His eyes moved towards the invitation card,  frowning at the sparkly silver it was printed in. He could feel a fresh patch of tears welling up and his frown deepened. In one meeting, Zayn had turned his life upside down - making him go from an elite student to a cry baby. But the pain in his heart was too intense to be ignored.  Niall had tried, so damn hard to keep the tears at bay.  He had tried watching the funniest movies of all times and even googled about the funniest YouTubers but nothing worked. He couldn't calm his hurting heart down and he couldn't get Zayn out of his mind. 

Zayn...just the thought of the name brought immense pain to him. He could remember clearly all the moments they had spent together, fighting, laughing, crying, confessing their feelings out. But the worst of it all was realizing that he was not the only one. There was someone else in Zayn's life, somebody he was supposed to marry and be together with, for life. There was no doubt that the Pakistani must have at least felt guilty about hurting him, which would explain the countless messages and the missed calls on his phone. Niall had to stop himself from calling back, saying he wanted to spend at least the few remaining days together, enjoy each other's company until Zayn would be off getting married to Keh-bitch. 

Sighing loudly to himself, Niall prepared his bed. The night was young but he was still feeling tired and exhausted. Yawning to himself, the blonde pulled his sweater off his shoulder, shivering at the coldness before bringing the cover over his head. Just as he was about to close his eyes, the loud voice of his older brother calling his name, caught his attention, making him groan in distaste as he hurriedly reached for the discarded sweater. He brought it over his shoulder before getting out from the comfortable and warm bed.  Groaning as his feet touched the cold floor,  Niall quickly rushed outside the room, wanting his brother to just shut up with the yelling. It was giving him a much dreaded headache. 

"What is it?" Niall hissed, glaring down at Greg who was smirking at him from the bottom of the steps. "Why are you yelling at such an odd hour? I already said I don't want to eat tonight -"

"Yeah,  I know. The reason  I called you down is because your friend is waiting for you and she looks like she's ready to explode," Greg chuckled, turning around to get back inside the dinning room , leaving a confused Niall to follow behind him. The blonde kept a sufficient distance between him and his older sibling. He cursed himself for not wearing slippers before rushing out of the warm room like this but once he entered the dinning room, he sighed in relief at the warm and cosy floor. The heater was on, making the room loose it's natural chill and settling it for a comfortable temperature. Niall ignored his mother who looked startled at his appearance and his father who looked angry and concerned. The blonde looked behind the familiar faces of his parents and frowned deeply when he noticed an angry Kendall sitting on the couch behind. 

She seemed to notice his presence as the girl got up, walking fast until she was face to face with Niall. The blonde didn't even understand why his best friend was out so late, at his place for absolutely no reason. He had told all of his friends that he wasn't in the mood of attending school due to fever and cold, an obvious lie but Kylie seemed to buy it in an instant. Liam had pestered him a lot, even paying a visit despite the hostile way his parents behaved against the bulky brunette. Niall had quickly waved Liam off, saying that nothing was wrong and he was absolutely fine but just didn't feel up to attending classes. Maura had been a help in calling the school and getting Niall a leave for the entire week. He was going to be indebted to his mother for this good deed.