Chapter 18

"What did Malik do now?" Niall sighed at the question, snapping shut the book he was reading and turned around to face Kendall. The brunette girl continued to stare back at him, eyes unrelenting. It had been a while since she had arrived at Niall's place and more than an hour when she had noticed how his eyes were stuck on the same page of the book, not moving but just staring and in all honesty, it was starting to creep her out. 

"Nothing." The blonde sighed, receiving a scoff from his best friend. He wanted to smile and just pour his heart out but seriously, even he didn't understand himself anymore. It was stupid for him to be feeling like this, specially since he had kept on reminding himself that Zayn Malik was nothing but trouble, he was nothing but a crook and a blackmailer but now, somehow, Niall was finding himself falling for that said troublesome lad. He didn't even understand why since all Zayn ever did was tease him to the point where all Niall wanted to do was smack the Pakistani's head open and then there were those incredibly embarrassing pet names that Zayn always called him out with. There was absolutely nothing to like about the tanned man but yet, Niall couldn't help it. He was already in too deep. 

"Is it because of that girl?" Kendall asked after a moment of silence, biting her lips as she waited for Niall to respond. 

"Which girl?" The blonde asked rather quickly, clenching his fists as he wondered whether the news had already traveled to everyone at school. He was sure that tomorrow would be an embarrassing day and while he had managed to somehow leave school early today, he knew he couldn't possible fake sick every other day.  No matter how much he wanted to do so. It was just the thoughts of walking down the hallways of the school and being pointed at by every single person as the guy who got played by Zayn Malik, being looked at with pity and humor, that was making Niall sick to his stomach. 

"Some new girl. I heard people talking about shit but I didn't believe them. The ways Zayn treats you is just so...different." The girl concluded, nodding to himself when she was certain that she used the right word to describe whatever she felt when seeing her best mate with his boyfriend. 

"How?" Niall asked, his heart beating wildly in his chest. He wanted to know, more than anything else in the world, as to how him and Zayn appeared to the eyes of the outsiders. Sure they were just pretending but was it the same anymore? Everything just came so easily now. It was as if he already knew Zayn both inside and out. He knew it well when the older lad was lying, knew how much he loved to paint and draw, how he could possibly stay up all night just staring at the stars as if they were the most interesting thing in the world. And even though it wasn't enough, it was still something because Niall knew that Zayn liked his coffee with less sugar, he knew that Zayn would always sleep on the left side of the bed and wasn't particularly into cuddles but would always give him some, he knew how Zayn would always ride his bike in the woods without any helmet on and as risky as that was, Niall knew it gave Zayn a rush. He knew so many things that were probably not even relevant but they were just somethings which caught his attention. 

"It's just the way he looks at you and the way he treats you. He's always putting you first, he's always bothering you and paying attention to every single thing you say. It's like he hangs on to your every word." 

"That's not true."Niall whispered, reminding himself that it was wrong to be feeling this way for Zayn. It wasn't that he could even stop himself from loving the Pakistani lad but he could definitely try to prevent himself from fall way too hard and hurting himself in the process. He could at least control his own feelings. Keeping whatever they had as strictly business, strictly a means to stop Zayn from leaking out those fucking pictures and showing them to the Principal and his parents. 

"It is though." Kendall argued, getting up from the chair she was sitting at and sat on the bed instead,  facing Niall. "Talk to him once, clear every single doubt you have and then tell me if I'm wrong because he loves you so much and it's visible from the way he looks at you." The soothing feminine voice calmed a big part of Niall down. He wanted to believe it so much, that Zayn Malik, the school's troublemaker, might possibly be in love with him but it was all so absurd. He had a fiance and they were definitely going to get married someday and to top it all off, she was gorgeous while Niall, in his own opinion, looked like a potato sack compared to Kehlani. How was he ever going to compete with that?