Chapter 8: Fun In The Sun

Yukari opened her eyes to find the bright, blue morning sky above her. Soft, fluffy clouds dotted the sky. Warm sunlight casted down on her face, bathing her body in happiness. She lifted her head and looked around to find herself in a meadow of flowers. There were white petals scattered in the wind everywhere. Around the meadow was a calm forest. She sat up, and surprisingly there was no throbbing on her side. Pushing her cloak to the side, she lifted her cloak and was surprised to find that there was no bandages wound on her torso.

Curiously, she stood up and looked around, dark eyes observing her tranquil surroundings. In the distance, she spotted someone sitting in the flowers. They were too far away for her to see, and without necessarily thinking about it, she started running towards them. As she got closer, she saw long, blonde hair and a small clay spider. It was Deidara! She ran even faster, wanting to be by his side.

When Yukari reached him, she plopped down next to him.

"Hey, Dei-kun!" she chirped. Deidara turned to her, and horror cast itself onto Yukari's face. His face was contorted in pain, blood running down the corners of his lips.

"Run!" he grunted. She was frozen in place though, fear constricting every one of her muscles. She couldn't move a thing, not even her lips; it felt like all of the air got sucked out of her lungs.

Unconsciously, her legs lifted and she propelled herself toward the forest. The once blue sky was now pitch black, the usual sparkle of stars missing in the darkness. The sea of flowers was now lit by flames. The flames were different though, with bits of black glittering embers everywhere. She leaped through the maze of the blaze and finally made it to the edge of the forest.

From behind a tree stepped out Deidara...

...But he no longer looked like the Deidara.

Yukari knew, though. His expression was maniacal and unlike him. His sclera was black instead of white, and dried blood littered his body everywhere. The Akatsuki cloak he was originally wearing was now a deep, maroon color. Holding up a balled fist, he reached for Yukari.

"Come here, Yukari," he beckoned. She shook her head vehemently, a shudder dancing across her back.

"Dei-kun... Dei-kun! What happened to you? Why are you acting like this?!" she begged, fear radiating throughout her body.

He only smirked. He opened his fist, revealing a clay spider. The clay spider jumped from Deidara's hands and landed on her chest. Time seemed to slow down, Deidara weaving his hands with extreme complexity.

A silent, blood-curdling scream tore from her open lips as his moved.

"Katsu!"

~~~~~

"GAH!" Yukari shrieked, jerking and tumbling off of the bed. She landed on her bad side with her elbow digging into it. She groaned loudly, laying on the floor in an awkward position. Deidara's messy head popped out over the edge of the bed, giving her a half-asleep but quizzical look. Remembering her dream, she squealed and backed away from him.

"D - don't touch me!" she yelled, a crazed look overtaking her features. Deidara sat half covered in blankets, a look of complete confusion on his face. He swung his legs over the bed and kneeled closer to her. "Yukari - "

"Don't touch me!" she cut him off. He knew something was wrong.

"Yukari..." he whispered softly, a slight tone of hurt in his voice. She kept on scooting backwards until her back hit the side of Sasori's empty bed. Her crazed eyes softening, she slumped over, shoulders falling. Deidara took that chance to pull her into an embrace. Balling up against his broad chest, Yukari took slow breaths, calming her erratic heartbeat; the nightmare had thrown her into fits of terror.