Chapter 5: Lives On The Line

Yukari graciously returned Deidara's embrace. His touch was so soothing, she felt as if she were floating.

They stood like that, together, for a small while, all the while Yukari listened to his steady heartbeat. For a moment, she parted from him and looked up to see his face, and she was surprised to find that he was frowning.

"What are you doing?" she asked. Deidara pulled away and cast his gaze to the floor in shame.

"It's just..." he mumbled. "I feel horrible for what I said."

"What?" She cocked her head to the side and looked him up and down. "Are you feeling okay?"

"Of course!" he stuttered, waving the issue away nonchalantly.

"Are you sure? You seem a bit strange..."

"Oi! I feel guilty, is all. Plus, Danna made me apologize, yeah."

Yukari frowned. "You're not truly sorry, then, are you? If he made you apologize..."

"Wait!" He started toward her. "Of course, I'm ashamed! I really do feel bad, un. I wouldn't go through all of this effort if I was lying!

"...Why do you keep lying to me, Deidara? Do you think this is some kind of game?" She thrust her hands in front of her, stopping him from going any closer. "I know you're toying with me again. And you will hurt my feelings, but I will come back to you, and then you will hurt me all over again. I don't like it at all...!"

Without trying to, chakra built up in her chest as she raised her voice, leaving her body through her hands and extending over to Deidara. It slammed him, square in the chest, and he flew backward, crashing into the many boxes. Yukari's eyes were wide as she struggled to figure out what she'd just done; the phenomenon had never occurred before.

Deidara groaned in pain, wincing.

"Yukari..." he cried, surprised.

And that's when she realized.

It was a storage room, of course. And in the boxes, the Akatsuki stored...

Weapons.

Kunai knives, shurikens, swords... and they pierced right into Deidara. A knife was protruding from his gut. He hacked up a bout of blood as he stared at his mangled body weakly, struggling to free himself.

"Dei-kun!" Yukari screamed, gasping as blood seeped through his fishnet shirt. She felt a tug in her stomach again and used that power to pull Deidara to her, pulling out the kunais with the unseen forces as he slowly floated closer. By the time she caught him in her arms, she'd removed everything that punctured his body, he had collapsed.

"No," she whimpered, her eyes large. She stared at Deidara's unmoving body with his eyes closed, and his beautiful features stuck in a painful grimace.

"What have I done!?" she cried, hot tears threatening to spill down her cheeks. She shook, holding his body in her hands as she collapsed to her knees, holding his head close to her chest. Nuzzling her face into his hair, she breathed in his cool scent and let the aroma cool her buzzing nerves.

After a few moments, Yukari mustered the strength to press an ear to his chest, listening for a heartbeat. Relief washed over her as she heard it softly thudding. She placed a hand on his chest and started poured chakra into him, attempting to heal his wounds. Slowly, the blood flow stunted, but strangely, one cut stayed wide open—a deep wound in his stomach. Grabbing a stray kunai lying beside them, she snatched it up and inspected the blade carefully.

Gasping, she realized it was covered in a purple liquid.

Sasori's poison.

Panicking, Yukari focused the entirety of the chakra she had left into that one wound. The cut wasn't closing by the least bit. She placed her lips over his injury, sucking out the poison. Every now and then, she would spit out some of Deidara's blood, stained purple in some spots, and occasionally, she coughed up a bout of blood. The effects of the poison were beginning to wear on her, too. When the purple wasn't disappearing, she realized the poison had likely already reached his heart.