Chapter 26-Death's Embrace

Okayy so here we are, the penultimate chapter. I can't believe it! The last chapter is the epilogue and then we're finished. But let us not get ahead of ourselves. First please enjoy-although I don't think that's the right word considering the content-this chapter. Comments would be much apprectiated-it may encourage me to update faster :P 

“NO!” The stricken cry came from the doorway.

Deacon burst into the room, eyes fixed immediately on the chest and Abbadon’s writhing form. His expression was manic, his eyes crazed. He looked like a wild animal, dangerous and completely unpredictable.

Magnus tensed in preparation for the possibility of a fight though he knew there would be no chance of him winning. But Deacon didn’t even spare him a glance, instead running straight for Abbadon and the chest.

Magnus’ mind suddenly thought of Isabelle and he prayed that she was ok and that Deacon had merely managed to escape from her.

“Abbadon!” Deacon cried, “Let me help you. You need me! Join with me now before it’s too late.”

The demon reached out and for one terrifying moment Magnus was sure it was over. Having come so far he would fail at the last minute and there was nothing he could do to stop it.

Deacon was bathed in red light from the chest. It illuminated his face, twisted into an expression of cruel triumph as he neared the chest, coming within reach of Abbadon’s claws. But before anyone could react Abbadon reached out and, with a fearful raw of anger, raked his claws across the Viplerla’s body.

Deacon’s expression turned to one of almost comic disbelief as he stared down at the blood that began spurting like a scarlet waterfall from three thick gashes in his chest.

Looking up his shocked gaze met Magnus’ for a split second before his eyes rolled back into his head and he crumpled to the floor.

The blood continued to flow thick and fast from Deacon’s wounds and Magnus knew that he would be dead within minute.

Suddenly Magnus was struck with another thought: The spell had said nothing about the blood and death sacrifice having to be from the same person. Magnus could only pray this would work as he had no time to think.

Already he felt terribly weak and fog seemed to cloud his mind and he’s knees were close to buckling but he fought with all his might to stop himself sinking to the floor. He just prayed he could last just a little longer.

Even if he didn’t survive this, as long as Alec did and Abbadon was locked away nothing else mattered.

He was so close to finishing the spell, speaking through gritted teeth and with trembling hands. His head was pounding as though his skull was about to burst and his entire body felt so terrifyingly weak, like just one small gust of wind would blow him away. It was only the sharp pain in his gut that helped him keep his focus and stopped him from floating away.

As the final word left Magnus’ mouth the entire room erupted into a flare of pure, blinding white light. The last thing Magnus saw before he had to cover his eyes was Abbadon’s expression, a combination of shock and terror, and his wide crimson eyes blazing in the blanket of white.

When it finally faded Magnus had to blink furiously before he could see properly, taking deep breathes through his mouth as he fought to keep his legs from buckling.

The, now closed, chest sat in the middle of the floor, small and innocent, and for all the trouble it had caused it now just looked like perfectly normal object.

 Blackness was creeping into the edge of his vision and on the ground Alec’s crumpled body was completely still.

He nearly dropped to his knees at the sight and a hoarse cry fell from his lips. “No!” His throat felt thick with tears that threatened to choke him.