66: holiday planning

THE CALLS START TO become routine. This is the third night that Laurent calls her beyond midnight.

    "I feel like shit, Mila. I really do."

    By now, Camila's learned to let him run his mouth. His words are almost always drunken nonsense.

    "Where are you now?" she asks.

    "Germany."

    "That's fun." A smile does manage to creep up her face.

    "I'm such a dick. I was such a dick. Fuck, you're a fucking idiot, Mila. Don't break up with Andrew. Don't do anything that doesn't make you happy."

    "Music makes me happy and I'm doing it. There's no need to worry about me."

    "You're all I think about." His voice is, once again, adopting that quality that never fails to send shivers through her whole body. It's not because of the cold, either.

    "Well, I should go sleep."

    "No, Mila, I—"

    She hangs up, knowing nothing good could ever come from this. Sighing, she checks the messages she's managed to get during their call. Jeremy's been on the scene a lot more, especially during her sleeping hours. The boy seems to be doing anything but sleeping.

    Having already had a nap this afternoon, Camila peers out the window. She loves it when it's that time of night where she's one of the few that are awake. There's always beauty in serenity.

    Ironically, Jeremy's contact picture flashes on her screen. It's an exceptionally hideous shot of him stuffing fries up his nose and ears.

    "Yo, Cam!"

    "Yes, Jer!"

    "I'm going to be in New York! We're taking a break for Christmas and all so I can get some buzzes at your place if you'll have me."

    Camila squeals. "Oh my gosh and Elle's coming here too, we've already planned it. Wait, why aren't you going back home? I know Elle said her family's going to be vacationing so she can't join them for those two weeks. But what about you?"

    "I'm at home currently. They'll be celebrating by the time I actually leave even though they never celebrate Christmas."

    "You guys did that one year."

    "It was a trial-Christmas."

    "Whatever you say. I bet you loved it."

    "What about Roma? I know she and Elle meet up like twice a day or something to get it on."

    "Disgusting, Jer. She's coming too but I think she'll be staying at a hotel with Elle. So I get you all to myself."

    "Joy. Have you heard from Laurent?"

    "Too much. He called just now."

    "Drunk again? He's starting to call me too. I'm getting worried. Oh, and check his Instagram. He's been everywhere lately, enjoying that gap life."

    Camila frowns. "Should we hold an intervention?"

    "Roma said he's actually doing swell. Just that he gets sad at night."

    "Whatever, Jer. He's been doing fine his whole life."

    "Do you still like him?"

    "Feelings are hard to erase. But I can't focus on him right now. I have like four ensembles to work with right now."

    "Whatever."