96: an unwelcome guest

"WHEN I INVITED YOU, I didn't mean bring a plus one," Jeremy says and folds his arms over his chest. He stands against his doorway menacingly, his tall figure filling the frame. "The fact that I can smell food on you two means you didn't even bother to bring something to appease me."

    "Why are you being so melodramatic?" Laurent clicks his tongue.

    "Wasn't talking to you."

    Laurent turns to Camila and looks at her, expecting her to mediate between the two since Jeremy was already picking a fight so early into the day. She does no such thing and instead ignores his staring, feeling petty about last night still.

    "We'll go out for waffles or something when my stomach feels better," she promises Jeremy. "On me this time."

    "Yum," Laurent chimes in.

    "Not free for you," Camila says while Jeremy simultaneously says "Freeloader."

    "Why are you two bullying me today...?"

    "When Elle is gone, Camila has to fill her role," Jeremy explains nonchalantly.

    Laurent suddenly remembers hearing drunk Camila on the phone last night complaining to someone about how she was rudely dragged out of her party and groans. "I thought we settled this at the diner, Mila. Please."

    "Please what?"

    "I'm sorry. And honestly I was just worried for your safety."

    "And I said I forgive you so I don't know why you keep apologizing."

    "Because it feels like you're still mad at me."

    "I'm not."

    Jeremy sighs and lets them into his apartment before their conversation gets loud and disturbs his neighbors. "Anyone want coffee?"

    Camila throws up a little in her mouth. "No thanks." The açai bowl at the diner was finished partly through sheer willpower and through the help of Laurent, who looked happy to have a little extra for brunch.

    "Don't get too touchy with me," Laurent warns Jeremy, who was now hovering around Laurent.

    "Did you get a haircut? Something's changed," is all Jeremy says.

    "No? I'm more handsome now, right?" An easy grin spreads across Laurent's face and Camila feels her heartbeat pacing against her sternum. He wasn't wrong—it seems that in their time apart, the short few weeks, he had grown a little taller and his hair was longer, which she preferred on him. They fell in waves into his eyes, her personal favorite feature of his.

    Jeremy grimaces. "You should stop that before I go back on our agreement. I don't want to live with a liar." He goes to the kitchen and Camila hears his espresso machine start. While he's gone, Laurent takes his chance to stand in from of Camila.

    "After this, let's go somewhere. Just the two of us."

    Camila doesn't meet his eyes, unsure of what to do. This side of him was truthfully novel to her and she didn't know how to react to his sincere and straightforward proposition, when she was used to teasing him and being teased by him. "What's so important?"

    "Just haven't talked to you in a while." He shrugs.

    "We ate brunch together," she points out. "We also walked here together."

    "You weren't feeling well the entire time."

    "Well...duh."

    "Duh," he repeats and laughs.

    Jeremy peeks out the kitchen and echos them. "Duh."