04: cooler than beans

JEREMY YANG LAUNCHES his soccer ball at the goal and both Elle and Camila jump up chanting. He missed, but that's beside the point—he asked them to come be supportive and it's exactly what they're doing.

    When they sit back down, Camila sees him scratching the side of his face with his middle finger, directed right at them.

    "So, I'm thinking, for senior trip," Elle says, "that we go to Jasper. And then we join our class in the Maldives."

    "Sounds good," she replies, squinting at Jeremy's back. "I probably can't go to the Maldives though. I have a summer masterclass to teach. Also, airfares are sky-high."

    "I'm going to pretend I didn't hear the last part."

    "As you wish, Ella Bella Banana Arora."

    "Jeremy's not feeling it today," Elle says. "What if he gets benched?"

    "Knock on wood," Camila says and leaves the bleachers to find a wooden bench.

    It's true—his usually effortless stride is broken down by his constant puffing and at this angle, it looks as if he's burned static against the blazing sun. Eventually, the coach substitutes him after he fouls, earning the opposing team a free kick.

    "Look what you did," Camila huffs when she returns.

    "It's not my bad you're superstitious as hell," Elle says.

    "Poor child. He's probably too busy guarding his belongings from Bucky."

    "Bullshit. His sister spends all her time guarding Bucky from him," Elle snorts. "A young, teenage menace."

    It's about fifteen minutes before the game ends that Jeremy's put back on the field and he makes an actual, legitimate, kick-in-the-goal this time, to which the bleachers abrupt in hoots. Elle chooses to sit coolly, eating her muesli.

    When the weather's sunny and she's spread out to catch all the sun onto her skin, with her coils blowing in the breeze, Camila forgets about the upcoming exams as she holds hands with Elle. But Elle does not like to hold hands with Camila because she insists that her "hands are a clammy mess" and that "no one should ever have to be subjected to [her] damp fingers."

    "Hey, we should probably support him." Camila nudges her.

    "He has a jockstrap for that."

    "Don't do that," she says, but all the while laughs in disgust.

    After the two teams have shaken hands, Camila and Elle walk across campus to wait for Jeremy to shower and change. They sit on a bench, Elle lying on it with her head to Camila's lap as she hums to herself.

    "Have you talked to Roma yet?" Camila asks.

    "What do you think?"

    "Probably not?"

    "You're absolutely spot-on."

    "Have you done any of your essays yet?"

    Elle gives an exasperated sigh, sitting up. "You know, I already have a mom."

    Before Camila can respond, Jeremy butts in, sitting in between them.

    "After party?" Jeremy asks, his hair ruffled and damp. "You guys can get ready at my house. My brother's home this weekend."

    "Jericho!" Elle exclaims in delight.

    Jericho Yang is most certainly Elle's favorite person in the whole undeniable universe. Reason one is because they're both mutual and avid campaigners against Jeremy Yang, and whenever Jericho returns from college, they have a blast sharing embarrassing stories of Jeremy. Reason two is, well, he's Jeremy's brother.

    And then Camila sees him.

    Now, Camila Bean doesn't believe in searching, she believes in allowing. That is, allowing love to find her, as she's busy exploring herself.

    "Guys, meet Laurent," Jeremy says, as he introduces Laurent, whose blonde hair is dark with sweat.

    "We've met," Laurent says, as he stares at Camila, who averts her eyes. He's still got the same, piercing, multi-colored, stained-glass eyes that unnerves her.

    He's still panting from the game, his water bottle empty—contents probably dumped onto his head—and his jersey sticking to his chest.

    "Cool eyes," Elle remarks.

    "Thanks."

    "So," Jeremy says, "see you there?"

    "Yeah," Laurent replies, still heaving from the game. "Oh, and tell your friend I'm sorry."

    And then he's gone, walking towards the gym.

    "Friend?" Elle asks. "Me? Camila?"

    "Me," Camila says. "We bumped into each other a few days ago. I was going to ask for an apology but apparently, there's no need."

    "Jesus, couldn't you two be cool?" Jeremy asks them.

    "We were."

    "So cool."

    "Cooler than beans."

    "Yeah," Camila adds. "Not to mention, I'm incredibly cool after he shoved me into the granite column last week, but no biggie right?"

    "Whatever," he says.

    Whatever, Elle mocks him with a scowl behind his back, as they get up to go to his place. "Hey, do you think Roma will be at the party?" she asks once she catches up to them.

    "Probably not. She's not the party type," he replies.

    "Yeah, not when you're at it," she responds, and they bicker through the whole ride.