44: like friends do

"I CAN'T POSSIBLY like him that much," Camila says. "Right?"

    Vanilla hops along the floor and twitches her nose. Camila rubs her large ears and picks her up to cuddle.

    "Do I like him because I can't have him? Like, I just want what I can't have? Is that it? There's really nothing special about him. At least that's what Elle says. But she says that about everyone."

    Never a good conversation partner, Vanilla nuzzles into Camila's stomach. Maybe she'd have better luck talking to her baby brother.

    In her romantic adventure, Camila has never been rejected. Not by boys, not by girls, not by anyone. Maybe it's been too easy for her and this is her slap of reality. Maybe Laurent's actually a blessing in disguise. She gets up and starts moisturizing her legs with shea butter cream.

    Her phone buzzes and it's—speaking of the devil—Laurent King.

    "Hm?" she answers.

    "Wow, I was expecting a happier welcome. What are you up to?"

    "Just lounging around. My parents took my brother to go meet some friends and family. I have to stay home and practice. Why?"

    "Why what?"

    "You never call me."

    "Not true, I've called you plenty of times. Do you want to—"

    "I can't be with you anymore, Laurent. It hurts too much."

    "..."

    "I'm kidding. I'd love to get lunch with you," Camila says and laughs.

    "Not lunch. Come help me get my mom a birthday present," he replies. "We could get lunch if you want but I already ate."

    "Your mom? I don't even know her though."

    "Yes but you look like you know how to do Christmas so please help. Elle sucks and Jeremy worships Satan so I can't ask them. Roma's in another state right now."

    "Okay, okay. Are you picking me up?"

    "What else would I do?"

    "Meet at the mall? Like friends do?" Camila asks.

    There's a slight pause but Laurent's breathing is close to her ear. His voice hitches and it sounds like he's picking up the words to say. She waits patiently on the other line.

    "Would that be better?" he asks, finally.

    "I don't get it."

    "Would it be better?" he repeats. "If we took time apart? Would that make you...less...sad?"

    "Laurent, you're scaring me. No, I'm fine. Besides, I've got plenty of fish on my line," she jokes. "Honestly. Don't take this so seriously it's freaking me out."

    He lets out a sigh. "Whatever you say. Be ready in half an hour, I need the present by tonight."

    They hang up and Camila sends him a few photos of Vanilla. He never asked for them but she loves sending them. Getting up from the floor, she goes to change and get ready to go out. All the while, she wonders what Laurent asked. Would it be better if they took time apart?