Chapter four

Me and the Mafia(4)

Chapter four

"I am so sorry I got you into all of this. I never expected this. I didnt mean to get you involved." he said as his voice cracked. My head dropped slightly.

"You didn't." I said loud enough for him to hear before walking out to the car.

He climbed into the drivers side and stuck his key into the ignition but never turned it. "I meant what I said just now. You didn't bring me into all of this." I said slowly.

"How is that Kayla? How?" he said sounding frustrated.

"Because it was my faults and choices. Not yours." I replied quietly. I still didn't know how to explain it all to him.

"I still don't understand. What do you mean, Kayla? You weren't the one who joined the mafia." he said with a clenched jaw as he looked over at me. I looked up at him apologetically knowing I had to come clean.

"Actually-" my voice broke as I remembered everything I had been keeping from him. Matt's eyes softened and filled with hurt. My heart broke at how much I had kept from him and let him carry the burden. I swallowed back tears as I felt my walls guarding my life begin to crumble.

"Please Kayla, please tell me you didn't. Oh gosh please no. Kayla you didn't." he said sounding betrayed and hurt. His expression held so much grief and betrayal. I squeezed my eyes shut stopping the flow of tears before they could escape.

"I was a spy. I was their spy for two years. I'm sorry. I couldn't tell you. I can't talk about it anymo-" my voice cracked with a loud clap of thunder. Matt broke eye contact and turned to look out the window. I felt the first tear bubble over and opened the car door and walked out into the storm. The wind was beginning to pick up and you could hear the rain approaching. I just stood there finally letting out the tears.

I had lied to Matt and even lied to myself. I didn't cry over my moms death because I was trained not to cry. Now it was all pouring out. A sob escaped me as I sank to the ground. The rain fell onto my back and head mixing with my many tears. The thunder boomed and once again I jumped but this time from a different memory. I was given an assignment in Chicago. I went with the boss's right hand man and we watched the family their. I will never forget that stormy night when I wanted to hug Matt and at the same time scream at him for doing what he did. I could do neither though since he couldn't know I was there.

I stayed there sobbing in the rain knowing that everything that I had now was gone. Mom first and now I've pushed Matt away. I heard footsteps behind me.

"I- I'm- I'm sorry." I choked out barely but he pulled me into a tight hug before I finished. I squeezed back and we stood there in the pouring rain. He held me as I cried for the first time in over three years. I hated myself for letting him take me back so quickly, but I really needed it even if it put him in so much more danger.

"Hey hey hey. It's okay. I've been there too and now we are both out of it. Okay?" he spun me around and our eyes locked. He looked determined and caring while I probably looked like an absolute wreck. He rubbed my back soothingly as I nodded my head. "Glad you understand. Now I have another idea of pure genius. Let's get in the car and out of the cold rain! You are gonna catch a cold and shoot yourself while sneezing or something. Its probably best if we don't do the bad-guy's job for him you know." I let out a small laugh finally relaxing. He was the only person who could do that for me. We ran to the car and jumped in. He reached into the back and pulled out a large towel which he threw at me. I then realized I was dripping wet. We drove as I dried up some but my wet clothes were soon freezing and of course I was sneezing.

Matt looked over at me apologetically as I sneezed for the thousandth time. "Matt, quit *sneezes* quit looking at me like *sneezes* like that. None of this is *sneezes* is your fault." I said squeezing the bridge of my nose as a headache set in.

"Either way, Kayla, you are sick and I feel bad about it. I blame you for sitting in the pouring rain crying instead of just staying in the car and crying anyways." he said smirking.

"Shut up unless you have nice things to say." I said crossing my arms and sticking my tongue out at him. He laughed and shook his head at me while I laid back in the seat of his car. I sneezed a few more times before finally drifting off to sleep. When I woke up, Matt was carrying me up the stairs in his house. Before I can question it though my mind has drifted back into a dream.

I woke to the bright light flowing through Matt's window. I stood up and carefully stepped over Matt's sleeping figure. He looked so peaceful that I just wanted to hide him and not let him back into this awful business. I walked down to the kitchen and made a bowl of cereal before plopping down onto the couch. I turned on an old rerun of Scooby Doo. and relaxed as the gang solved yet another mystery revealing the monster wasn't real at all. Why can't I just pull the mask off the boss and have the angry janitor arrested? I laughed as I realized it was the carnival one, my mom's favorite episode. My heart dropped as I remembered how she wasn't there anymore. No more Scooby marathons or roller skating races. She was really gone this time. Matt plopped down on the couch next to me with a pack of pop-tarts. He started laughing as Scooby got stuck in the room of mirrors and I couldn't help but join in. "Morning Matt." I said happily hiding my melancholy thoughts.

"Good Morning Kayla! Isnt it beautiful out today?" he said excitedly. He always was a morning person.

"Yep. What are the plans today?" I ask trying to not think of my mom.

"Hide from insane killers. Create a plan as to how we will beat those insane killers. Try not to be killed in the process. You know the usual." he said shrugging.

"Sounds boring." I say sarcastically.

"I know right!?" he yells jumping off the couch. I laugh at his insanity.

"Did you have coffee or something?" I ask still chuckling.

"Nope. I just needed to get you to smile. Your fake smile really sucks just so you know." beasts looking pointedly at me. I look down at my lap no longer hiding the sadness. "So whats bothering you Kayls?" he asks sitting down and laying his head in my lap.

"It's nothing Matt." I say looking away from his beautiful blue eyes trying to hold it together.

"If it was nothing, my best friend would not be sitting on my couch almost in tears while watching her favorite cartoon. Don't give me any of that it's nothing crap Kayla." he said sitting up and turning me so that I had to look right into his eyes. They were filled with concern and determination. Something mom always liked about Matt. When she was in the hospital she even gave me a speech about how amazing Matt was and how I needed to go out with him. I turned back to the screen.

"This was her favorite episode. We watched it once a month because it was one of her guilty pleasures." I said grinning a little as my voice cracked. I turned back to Matt to see tears brimming in his eyes. I know he hated to see me like that but it was still hard to be happy. "I'm scared now. It wouldn't be that bad but I can't run into her arms crying like I always used to do after a rough day. She was always so understanding. I even told her about the mafia and she held me when I realized what I had gotten into." I choked out before I completely lost my voice. I bit my tongue as both tears and sobs threatened, but I refused to break down again. Yesterday was a total slip up and I couldn't afford to do that again. Matt pulled me into a hug.

"We are moving Kayla. We aren't running but we can't stay alone. We are going to the pit around lunch so I guess we both need to pack." he said quickly squeezing me in a hug before pulling me up and to the stairs as I tried to process just what he had said. Suddenly I stopped halfway up the stairs.

"Wait WHAT?!?!?"



Hey guys! Sorry it's short but it's more of a filler chapter. Next you get to meet the family! Yay well I hope you enjoyed. Please vote fan and comment! I would love some feedback cause I keep getting cliffhangersthanks for reading:)