chapter ten

Me and the Mafia (10)

When I woke up the next morning, my face had that all too familiar puffy soreness that came after crying all night. I sighed as I remembered how crazy the night had really been. The painful memories came flooding back and i slowly sat up. From my window in my room, I could see down the street. The morning was beautiful and the trees rustled with a light breeze. It made me think of a day when Mom and I had a picnic at the park. We flew kites and threw frisbee and simple stuff like that. It was without question my favorite memory with Mom.

When I came out of my room, Matt caught me in a hug immediately. "Hey you doin better?" he asked with a soft smile.

"I'm okay now." I offered my best grin but it was weak.

"Whats up?" he asked pulling me back in my room and shutting the door in case I needed privacy.

"I just miss her in times like this." I said with a shrug. He pulled me into another hug and I hugged him back gratefully.

"I know. I miss her too." we sat there in silence for a few minutes but it was interrupted by my dinner deprived stomach. "Come on let's go eat breakfast."

At breakfast I looked around and only counted six of us. I didn't wonder who was missing for long. "Where's River?" Matt asked while devouring a piece of bacon.

"Not sure. He left around six this morning and said he would be back for lunch." Lacey said with a shrug.

At five o'clock, I slipped on my green dress and a brand new pair of shoes that appeared by my door this afternoon. I put on the finishing touches and headed toward the stairs. At the bottom, everyone was standing ready.

As I began my descent, Matt looked up at me proudly and River grinned but blushed a little. We got downstairs and my hand was immediately tucked under someone's arm. I looked over to see River pulling me to him. We were the last couple to walk out the house and River stopped me just outside the door.

"Kayla listen. I am very sorry for how I treated you yesterday. I was caught up in the moment and I should have known better. I understand if you are still mad but can we please put it behind us for at least tonight?" he pleaded embarrassedly.

"River it's okay. I forgive you. I overreacted a little bit and I think we should just put yesterday behind us." I pulled him into a hug and couldn't help but notice how gorgeous his grin was. I glanced at his new suit and his freshly trimmed hair. He was actually shockingly stunning.

"Well then can I remind you of how beautiful you are? Cause you look absolutely gorgeous." he whispered in my ear while taking my hand. My cheeks grew warm but my hand felt right where it belonged. I had to let go of Andy somehow and River being River right at this moment was the push I needed to move on. I was getting feelings for another guy finally.

"Thank you. You look pretty handsome yourself." I grinned up at him. His grin grew into a haughty smirk.

"I agree." oh gosh what did I start? "I quite like wearing suits. You know it really brings out my lines and also my great tan I picked up over the last couple of months. But I do admit I think Lacey actually beat me out with that tan of yours. No matter how good I try to look, you are the most beautiful person tonight without a doubt." he grinned and kissed my cheek. I didn't argue. I couldn't! Secretly I had hoped he would kiss me on the lips.

His hand cupped my face and I leaned into it lightly. Everything was the exact opposite of twenty four hours ago. I liked it so much better this way though. When we arrived, Lacey briefly reminded us who was who's date and so on. Basically it was me and River, Lacey and Brandon, Timmy and Tink, and then Matt and his girlfriend Chloe (an old friend out of the Mafia).