Chapter 1

One..... Emmaleigh

Smelling the isle of school supplies, hearing mothers frantically trying to get the best deals, I knew the new school year was approaching. My dad was grabbing whatever was easy to grab. I was browsing through CD's and DVDs in the entertainment center at Walmart. I came across an odd looking CD case. Of coarse, it was something from Disney.

"Disney, really?" A voice said from behind me.

"Just looking, Disney is becoming so overrated." I replied.

I turned to see a tan, five' nine, dark brown haired guy standing before me. He was smiling.

"I would have to agree." He said.

All I could do was smile. He started walking away. I almost said something when my dad scares me from behind.

"Are you ready to leave?" he asked.

"Yeah I guess." I said in a sad tone.

I leave Walmart not knowing the cute guys name. Not a good move on my part. As my friends always say, "When you meet a cute and hot guy, never say goodbye without a name and number in your hand."

I have been out of it since I lost my mom this past year. My dad and I have been making our life work without her, but I just really need my mom sometimes.

~~~~~~~

I woke up the next morning and got ready for my first day of sophomore year.

"Bye Dad, have a great kid free day." I said in a sarcastic tone.

"Bye Emmaleigh." He then laughed.

I hate riding the bus to school so I walk no matter how far it is. This year, luckily, it is only less than five blocks away.

"Emma!" a voice said from behind me.

"Hey Jane. How was your summer?" I said.

"Oh well..."

She trails off and leans in close to me. She is acting like a little girl telling a secret to her tea party guest.

"You know Mark Bryan right?" she asked.

"No Jane of coarse not! The guy you talk about like it's breathing? I have no idea who that is." I said in an annoyed tone.

"Oh shut up Emma! Well we are going out now! My first high school boyfriend. I can barely breath!!" she says with a smile.

"Good for you Jane."

"Thanks. Don't worry Emma you will get a boyfriend too."

"In your dreams." I said. Even though deep down I wish it were true.

"We walk into Grant High School. we grab our schedules and Jane makes her way to he cheer friends. I glance at my schedule and see I have Spanish first block.

"Great Spanish One first block. What a wonderful way to start of my day."

I feel someone behind me. I turn to see tan, tall, brown haired guy from Walmart.

"I do too. Hey you were the girl from Walmart." he says.

"Guilty. I'm Emmaleigh." I smile.

"Tristan. I'm new here and I was wondering if you could show me around?" he asks politely.

"Sure. Are you a freshman by any chance?" I ask kind of scared.

"Nah, I'm a sophomore. How about you?" he asks.

"Same here."

"Cool." he smiles.

I smile back. The bell rings and we walk into Spanish. She gave us assigned seats. I guess by fate Tristan sat right next to me.

"Look Em, I get to sit next to you!"

"What?" I asked. He called me Em. My mom was really the only person ever to call me that.

"Oh sorry, Emmaleigh."

"Don't worry, you can call me that if you want to." I smiled to reassure him it was okay.

"Good. I was gonna call you that anyway." A big smile is wiped across his face.

I laughed. Our friendship is starting well.

Throughout the day it turned out Tristan and I had History and Biology together too. A coincidence I guess.

~~~~~~~

I walk up to my locker and put my books inside. Jane walks up to me.

"How is your schedule?"

"Okay. I think the office messed it up though."

"Bummer. Are you going to sit with us today at lunch?"

"Yeah I guess."

We walk to the cafeteria and we sit at one of the circular tables. I notice Tristan sitting alone at one of them. Jane follows my eyes to see what I'm looking at.

"Invite him over here."

"Who?"

"The guy you are staring at!"

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah."

I look at him and this time he looks back at me. I wave at him to come over to where Jane and I are. He gets up and walks over to where we are.

"Hey."

"Hi."

"I'm going to talk to Mr. Ceaders about my seat in English. Bye Emma."

Tristan looks a bit upset.

"It wasn't because of me was it?"

"No she was going anyway she told me to call you over here so I wouldn't be alone."

"Oh."

"But I was going to ask you anyway." I smile.

"Good I was thinking of coming over here so I wouldn't look like a loner. Being all by myself and all."

"Haha, the struggle is real."

We both laugh.

The bell rings and we head back to history. Mr. Beard was a very funny history teacher.

"Don't be stupid."

His opening line ladies and gentleman. I look at Tristan and we just die out laughing.

"What's going on back there?" Mr. Beard asks.

"Nothing." we say together.

"Okay whatever."

Mr. Beard tells us all of these crazy stories that would only happen to him. The bell interrupts his last story.

"Okay tomorrow we will take notes some come prepared."

"Okay."

"What class do you have next Em?" Tristan asks.

"Algebra Two with Mrs. Tolliver. You?"

"I have geometry."

"We were on a roll."

"Just call us butter."

We laugh and I know I'm going to miss him next block. My heart is beating really fast. What's wrong with me?