How To Live A Life Of Freedom

Freedom is not just a word. It is a delicious feeling. It is a coveted way of life. Don't equate freedom with being free to speak the way you want, dress as you please, follow the profession of your choice or choosing your own life partner. This, of course is an integral part of personal freedom but even within the bounds of these restrictions imposed by the society, you can be free. Freedom is to be free in your heart and mind. Here's how you can work towards being free.

If you really want to be free, first free your mind of all expectation.

Expectation causes the most heartache. Don't expect people to be good to you, to do things for you. Don't expect things to happen the way you want. Just take life as it comes. If something doesn't happen, don't fret. If it happens the way you want, it's a bonus.

Next free your mind of all prejudice.

Nothing is good or bad. It's thinking that makes it so. Therefore, don't take sides. Don't take responsibility for other people's behaviour either. Follow your own conscience and let others reap their own rewards or not, according to their own actions.

Free your heart of ill feelings for others.

Feelings of hatred, revenge, anger... all fill you up with a negativity that will poison your happiness. Just distance yourself from people you don't like, for whatever reason, without having ill feelings for them. Think of good things to fill your heart with good feelings.

Learn to control your desires.

If you want a lot, you will never have enough. If you want less, you will find that you have most of what you want ! I think that we need very little to be happy. Most of what we want is just greed.

Learn to do without the things that you don't really need. An adequate car to get you around might be a necessity but to have a small one for getting around in the traffic and a one bigger than your friends' to show your status is just greed.

Give freedom to your thoughts.

You don't need to wear a bikini to be free. You need to think freely to be free. Let your thoughts wander, go where they want, make castles in the air. Have fun with yourself without feeling guilty about it, as long as you don't begin to want to own all those castles in real life.

Daydreams are fun, let them remain a fun way to entertain yourself. Don't let them impinge on real life and begin to cry for the moon.

Most of all, learn to forgive.

Forgive yourself for not being able to be superhuman. Forgive yourself for your shortcomings, and the mistakes you make. Mistakes mean that you are trying.

Forgive others for not being what you want them to. Understand that they are not there to make you happy just as you are not here to make others happy.

Take responsibility for yourself and let the others be. Do good, do your duty, and leave the rest to god.

As you go along the road of life, you will slowly learn to sift the grain from the chaff. Just keep the good with you and let the bad disperse with the wind, away from you, leaving you free from all negativity, free to be happy.

© Manic Sylph