Change-The Only Constant

Life is a continuum characterized by change. Change is the only constant in life. It is inevitable, powered by the forces of life. We need to accept the fact that things keep changing. They never stay the same.

Life is like the river that flows continuously, and the same water never flows under the bridge at two different moments. As we cannot hold on to the water flowing in the river, we cannot hold on to the moments of our life, except in our hearts. And in our hearts they should stay!The people who live in the moment characteristically don't hanker after the past, nor try to look continuously into the future. That's the secret of their happiness.
Even water that stays stagnant becomes putrid. We must avoid stagnation in our lives, even if it might mean changes that appear to be for the worse, because what seems bad today may not be so tomorrow. What we perceive as happiness in one moment is not necessarily so in every moment. A child loves to be always by the side of his mother, holding her hand, wanting her to decide on the direction that life should take. But a few years hence, what the same child, as a teenager hates the most is the mother holding his hand and deciding on the direction of his life. When this child becomes an adult, the same mother would never want him to always look to her for direction but to be a mature adult capable of taking his own decisions. The mother and child who continue to change with time, remain happy.

Everyone needs to change to grow. Its that simple. A rolling stone gathers no moss, and like a stone we must continue to roll wherever the slope of life takes us, stopping long enough to enjoy the scenery, but never long enough to gather any moss and get rooted to the spot. Even trees that stay rooted change everyday, shedding old leaves, growing new ones, producing flowers and fruit. So why are we humans so scared if change? We probably don't want to let go of things that make us happy. We don't want to venture into unknown territory, afraid of what we may find. But how will we ever know the rest of the story if we don't turn the page?

To all those who want to turn the page of their lives and read the rest of the story, I want to say, welcome change. It is what helps you to grow. And if you are afraid that you won't like what you read on the next page, remember that there will always be another page to turn, for as long as you live. If happiness will not stay forever, the sadness will also go away .

Look for change with an open mind, for change is inevitable but growth is optional.

© Manic Sylph