Surrender the Me for the We

Once, the hand, the mouth and the stomach of the human body got into an argument. Each wanted the others to accept his superiority. The hand said he was the most important, as if he did not pick up the food, the mouth would be unable to eat.

The mouth argued that if he didn't accept the food, it would never reach the stomach to be digested. The stomach considered itself more important as undigested food was of no value to anyone. The debate went on and on, until many others joined in too, and the obstinate organs refused to do their work. The entire body began to shrivel and wither and waste away.

There can be no better example of the need for selfless teamwork for the common good than the efficient running of this wonder called the human body.

In one way or another, we are all engaged in one-upmanship in every sphere of our lives. No one wants to relinquish his or her position of supremacy. But we would do well to remember that while every team needs a hero, every hero needs a team. Each one of us is important in our own right, but the best way forward is together, hand in hand, for the progress and betterment of the entire society, and not for just a section of it, or for a few individuals.

Teamwork demands that everyone takes up a position that is concurrent with one's abilities and then work in tandem, and not as competitors for the best worker's position.

There might be only one person who scores the winning goal in the final game of football, but he very well understands the importance of the others who bring the ball to him through the entire field of the rival players trying to snatch the ball away. It is the best passes that win the game, and not one man's effort at the goalpost alone. And so it is in life.

Together Everyone Achieves More

Selfless teamwork, with only the thought of doing the job at hand in the best way possible, succeeds. With a job well done by a team, everyone benefits, while in an individual competition, there is only one beneficiary. Bill Gates would not have been half as famous if he had kept the windows for his own personal use, nor as liked by the masses if he had not shared most of his wealth with the underprivileged. While a Hitler might be a powerful and well known figure, it takes a Nelson Mandela ,who worked with the people for their rights, to be the idol of every man and child.

Aim for doing the best, not just being the best. Take your team along to get the best out of a situation rather than trying to single-handedly cut the corn and eat it all alone too!

© Manic Sylph