Of What Was, And What Might Be

I love December. The winter is not so stiff yet, for one thing......and that in itself is a blessing! The year is drawing to a close. While some might feel sad for this, I think it is a reminder for not looking too far back into the past.

And then of course, there's Christmas.

For me, it's a time of reflection and rumination...A time to take stock of the year that was, and a time to plan for the year that will be.

Like each year, this one too has had many moments of happiness and many that bring tears. A lot was gained, some was lost. Some people made this world a better place to live in, and there were others who brought pain to many....

It is a time to count our blessings, and one by one,

pin them up on our Christmas tree like so many little gifts,

hanging on to each available space on every bough,

fighting for place of pride at the top.

It brings us face to face with all that we have really gained during the year.

If we really and truthfully pin up all our joys that were, I am sure every tree will be groaning under their weight and the tired sounds it will make will be as lovely a music to our ears as the jingling bells and the hymns floating on the winter nights!

It is also a time to get acquainted with all that we lost,

all the sad moments too....

maybe we can collect them and put them down

in a bag near the tree, ready to burn them in the log fire,

give them up to the flames....

let them carry all the hurtful smoke away from our eyes,

up the chimney, and beyond, into the hands of God.

Most of all, I think it is a time to look forward to another glorious year, a time to happily anticipate all the blessings that it will ring in, the hopes that will turn to dreams and the dreams that will come true!

Blessings and love.....

© M.S.