Chapter 25 - Promise made

Tristan's POV

"Daddy coming," Hope says as she gives me one of her blocks. "Daddy coming," Zoe and I exchange glances.

"It looks like you're not the only one excited," Zoe says as she folds her arms. Today was finally the day. After a long wait, he was finally coming home. A lot has happened since he left. Zoe and Lexi started to date and that was good. Anya got pregnant (again). She and Owen are staying in another city for a while. I always forget that my brother was in the army. My parents were still my parents. I was taking online classes and I had a job at forever 21. So I was pretty busy. Between prenatal appointments and health exams. It was gonna be a big surprise for him to come home to. Hope kept me on my feet and sane. She's growing into such a beautiful and smart girl. She knows so much and we all try to not say things in front of her. One time, she followed Zoë to the store and she came back home saying oh hell no. Just like her god mother, that one. Sassy and not afraid to speak the mind.
Anyways, everyone flew home. We were at my house, having a BBQ. Everyone was here. Winston had flew in last minute and so did Owen and Anya. The whole family came and I swear, never have I ever felt more complete. I walk out to the back yard and my brother walks over to me.

"Tristan, do something about that swing? It's squeaking like crazy," Owen said as he scratched his head. I rolled my eyes.

"I already told Miles and he said to not touch it. He's gonna fix it when he comes," I replied. Owen chuckled.

"Right. How you feeling? Is the baby kicking a lot?" My brother asked as he put his hand over my stomach.

"Baby kicks hard but he's sleeping right now," I replied. "I'm hungry," my mom smiles as she hands me a plate of fries and a burger. Just as I was about to take it from her, she snatches it quickly.

"This is only for today, Tristan. Then it's back to your Cardio diet. Okay?" My dad shook his head and smiled.

"Give my boy his food," he tells my mom. "He's gotta eat for my little grand baby in there," my mom gives in and hands me the plate. I go over to the picnic table and eat my food as I watched the children play in the sandbox. I seen Hope staring at her cousin, JT. JT was Owen's kid.

"No no," she says. "Share Hope," JT stares at his toy before giving it to Hope.

"Awww," Hope said. "Shanks syou," my little girl was so sweet. Miles was for sure going to be happy. I couldn't wait to have some family time. I couldn't wait to take family pictures. I was beyond excited.

"You okay?" Maya sat beside me as she held her stomach. I smiled.

"I'm nervous, actually. I've missed him so much. He doesn't know I'm pregnant again so he'll probably faint as soon as he sees me," I say as I laugh.
Maya put her hand on my hand and sighed. It felt great to be talking to her. After all our high school drama, I was beyond happy to end my years at Degrassi on good terms with her. She became one of my close friends. She came over to watch Hope a few times while I headed to the store or work. Zoe was always so busy at the studio. She was working there now, modeling was definitely her strong suit.

"So, is my god child a boy or a girl???" I ask her. She puts her pointer finger  over her lips and smiled.

"Sorry but Zig and I decided that it was gonna be a surprise for everyone,"

"Guys!" Zoe exclaims. "There's cars parked out front, I think he's here," with that being said, we all rush into the house and out on the porch. I sat on the chair while Zoe stood behind me. Both car doors opened and 4 men came out. I stare at the cars, waiting for him to come out. The 4 men slowly walk to me. I look over to my brother Owen who shakes his head.

"No," Owen mutters to himself. The men reach us and I noticed one of them looking familiar.

"Hey," I said. "Je...Jeremy right?" He nods. He walks up to me. He quickly glances at Hope and then back at me. What was he doing here? I could feel my heart beating unsteadily.

"Tristan," he tried to say. I could definitely tell by the tone in his voice where this was going. Either Miles missed his flight or something was definitely wrong.

"There's been a situation...you and Hope need to come with me," I turn to my family and all I could hear were voices. Blurred voices. What was happening? Was Miles okay? I had to know for sure to ease my mind.

Beep. Beep. Beep. I walk into his room and see his upper torso wrapped with gauze. I turn to his monitor which looked fine. I slowly took a seat beside him and held his hand. I was trying not to cry. Trying not to worry. Trying to put my trust in God. With everything that has happened, it would be wrong for God to take him. I've suffered way too much. And I'm tired of suffering. Miles didn't deserve this. Jeremy had explained what had happened on the way here and the first thing that came to mind was are you freaking kidding me. Miles would, though. He would risk his life to put others lives first. But how could he be so selfish? He promised he'd return home. He promised he'd make it up to me. I take a deep breath and seen his eyes slowly open. He stared up.

"Tristan..." he said faintly. I squeezed his hand and a smile came across his face. He slowly turned to me and chuckled.

"Who knocked you up?" He joked. "You cheating on me?"

"Ha-ha, very funny. Are you feeling any pain?" I asked, looking at the wires attached to him. He shook his head. I then slapped his arm and he groaned in pain.

"You just had to be the big hero, did you?" I said coldly. I leaned closer and kissed his lips. It still felt the same and I always felt those butterflies.

"Hey...being in the navy taught me something,"

"Which is?" I asked. Miles took my hand and sighed. I could see in his eyes that he was exhausted out of his mind.

"You have to be strong sometimes so that you can try to make it through...whatever obstacle you have," I smile at his heart comforting words. He was right. And I was glad that he was okay. My heart felt happy. I scooted closer to him and he rested his hand on my stomach.

"What are we having?" Miles asked happily. I wanted to surprise him but telling him now would make him happy. And he'd have that motivation to heal faster. I put my hand over his and sigh, feeling nervous.

"You know, we're going to have to come up with some boy names Because i think Miles Junior is overrated," I see the look on his face and my heart sinks as I see a tear fall from his handsome face. He lays back and closes his eyes trying to shake off his crying.

"Ahh...I'm so...incredibly lucky and blessed. Life couldn't be more perfect," and that's when things suddenly took a turn for the worst.

"Tristan!!!" Zoe shouted from outside Miles room. I looked at Miles before heading outside and seen Maya leaning against the wall, as blood dropped down to the ground from under her. My eyes widened as I stared at her face.

"I don't feel so good..." Maya fell to the ground. I wanted to scream but no words came out. I slowly step back as the I make way for the doctors and nurses. Miles calls out to me but all I could hear was the wind in my hear and the faint voices...what was happening?