Chapter 29

I awake feeling sick. The stench of cats is overwhelming. I step out of my room and clean the litter boxes. As quietly as possible I make my way downstairs and throw the bag in the huge dumpster outside. When I come back in Carl is sitting at the table drinking something in a striped cup. He smiles when he sees me and motions for me to sit. "Sorry if I woke you up, I didn't mean to. I was just cleaning the cat boxes upstairs." I ramble. He laughs a bit before speaking. "You didn't wake me up, I always get up early." I nod my head and go wash my hands before coming back to sit. "Hey Carl?" I start nervously. He looks at me. "Uhm- I don't think I'll be able to stay here, you've been nice to me and all but I just feel out of place." I look down at my lap and hope he isn't offended in any way. I hear him set down his mug and make a humming noise. "I understand Jade, but the only thing is I won't be able to bring you anywhere today. Lydia has me busy with things." I look at him and nod. "Uhm- do you think Lydia will be angry?" I ask him. He shakes his head. "No, she'll be fine. I'll tell her. If you want to leave just pack up and if possible call someone." I again nod my head, thank him and head back upstairs. Once in the little room I get dressed and dial a number. It rings twice before I get an answer. "What?" The voice asks angrily. I sigh before answering. I was hoping I wouldn't get this response. "Uhm, hey Al. I was just wondering if you could come pick me up and bring me to the airport?" I ask him politely. He lets out a loud sigh in response before asking me the address. I quickly give it to him before hanging up and playing with the cats. A while later Carl yells up the stairs my ride is here. I quickly rush downstairs and bid my goodbyes to Lydia and Carl before getting in Al's vehicle. The ride to the airport is quiet and tense. Once we are finally there I peck his lips and thank him. "I'm sorry I always lead you on. Love you." I quickly hop out before I start crying and rush into the airport. Once I have my ticket and go through security I find my gate and a place to sit. An hour later I begin my journey home.