Chapter 24- Always My Bay

-Aiden’s POV-

I’d never cared much for hospitals. After having watched my Grandfather battle cancer for the last year of his life, it was hard to be in them without remembering all of his suffering. Bet yet here I was again, sitting in this nearly empty waiting room with Bay’s parents, hoping and praying to God that she would pull through what had happened to her.

My eyes were still puffy and swollen from all the tears I’d shed over the past three hours while she’d been in surgery. So far no doctor and came in and delivered any news and it was making everyone anxious. Martin had to take her outside at least five times since we’d been here due to multiple breakdowns over her daughter. I could see the worry in his eyes for his Bay, his wife, and unborn child. I don’t think I’d ever seen him look so bent out of shape. It was for very good reason though.

Hell. We were all bent out of shape over this.

I don’t know what I’d do if I ever lost Bay. I don’t know if I could go on living. I mean, I would for her. But I wouldn’t really be living. Everything I am is because of her. I’ve been irrevocably in love with her since sine as long as I could remember and without that love…I’d be lost. Without her I’d be lost.

The clock on the wall got louder with every tick. It was just a constant reminder that time was passing us by and we still knew nothing.

At least half a dozen friends of Bay’s had left the game and showed up here nearly an hour ago, but they felt it was best that they hung out in the cafeteria until we knew something, giving her parents some time to themselves.

Looking up from the magazine I’d looked over at least four times already, I saw my parents standing in the doorway of the waiting room. As soon as her eyes landed Bay’s mom she rushed to the grieving woman’s side.

Sherry Gripped my Mom’s shoulders letting her heavy tears fall on her clean, white shirt. She seemed genuinely happy to have my family, which was just like having her family there. We were like family and always would be.

After Dad shook his hand and had brief words with Martin he made his way over to the empty chair beside me and handed over a hot cup on liquid.

“I thought you might thirsty. It’s hot chocolate from the lobby. I don’t know how good it will be.”

I nodded and mumbled a thank you before sipping the chocolaty richness. It wasn’t nowhere near as bad as I’d expected it to be and for that I was glad.

Dad’s hand gently clapped me on the shoulder as he searched for the right words to say. He was never very good with emotional stuff, but I could tell he was putting forth an effort. Probably due to the fact Bailey was just like a daughter he never had and even he was having a hard time keeping it together.

“How you holding up?” He asked. I could hear the sadness in his voice.

“I’m not,” I answered honestly. “I won’t be okay until I know she’s okay.”

Placing the empty Styrofoam cup on the magazine table next to me I sighed and cover my face. Dad’s grip on my shoulder tightened a little reminding me he was there for me.

“I’m sorry, Son. We’re all praying for her. Bailey’s a strong girl. She’ll pull through this.”

His reassurance did nothing to ease my worry and panic. “We don’t know that, Dad. You don’t know what kind of condition she’s in. She sustained a lot of injuries when that truck swerved into her lane. She has a lot of internal bleeding. What if they can’t get it stopped?” My voice broke again and the wetness covered my face streaking my cheeks once again.