Chapter 14- Boundaries

There were two things, I was absolutely sure, was not the right thing to do at this very moment. One, never run after another guy when one almost confessed his feelings for you; and two, never let it be the ex you just broke up with that you are chasing after.

I knew that. I knew that what I was doing was probably a big mistake, but like most mistake we still do them anyway. We’re only human.

I just couldn’t stand the thought of Cam hating me for something I never did. I didn’t cheat on him. Sure I may have inadvertently harbored a crush on my best friend, but I never acted on it. I thought about it, but I didn’t. I would never cheat on Cam. I wasn’t that type of girl.

Thus being the reason I was currently running after him with high hopes of clarification. I needed him to understand my actions and remove any doubt that I had cheated on him. If I didn’t, I knew it would be the hot topic of the school Monday morning.  I would be hated.

The people of Carver Hill High worshiped Cameron. He had successfully helped them win the last two football seasons and not to mention had a ton of influence there. In fact I’m pretty sure it was all because of him that my friends accepted me as quickly as they did.

In some small way I felt I owed this to him. He deserved an explanation. If it weren’t for what he did for me when Aiden left then I still might be that quiet, loner girl, who kept to herself and had no friends. He brought me out of my shell and showed me how fun life could really be. He helped me heal.

“Just let me explain.”

He didn’t stop but I caught up to him rather quickly seeing I was running but he wasn’t. He showed nothing but antipathy toward me as he slowed to a halt.

“You’re really going to try to defend yourself right now? I saw the whole thing, Bailey!”

“Then you would have saw I did nothing,” I defended.

“But you would have,” he stated. “If I hadn’t shown up when I did then you would have let him kiss you.”

Okay so maybe that’s true, but we aren’t together anymore so it’s a moot point.

“Do you not remember that party last night?”

“Vaguely, and that’s why I came here to apologize. I was a jerk about you friendship with Aiden. I was jealous and it never occurred to me how much you have had to put up with in the past. It was unfair to you.”

It was rare when Cam apologized, but when he did, he meant it; though that hardly mattered now.

“Thank you. That’s all I ever wanted to hear.”

He sighed and lost some of his hatred towards me but still unforgiving. His face only softened slightly. It was something, but not enough. He still harbored some resentment.

“That fact still remains that you were going to kiss him. You didn’t even spare me a second thought. How can I forgive that?”

Again, like before and without another word, he turned away from me and continued down the sidewalk in the dusk of the evening air. I ignored the slight chill that ran through me when the breeze blew my hair back and followed after him.

I felt bad. I felt like the lowest human being on the earth. He didn’t remember what I had said to him last night and that was something I must get him to acknowledge. I’m not sure when I said what I did I had meant it, but after today with Aiden I know, without a doubt, that I did. As long as Cam and I are together, nothing can happen between us and I don’t want to keep thinking what if for the rest of my life. I need to explore my feeling for Aiden before it’s too late for us.