Chapter 2- The Best Friend Next Door

My mom’s words replayed through my head causing me suddenly to remember something.

Wait, tomorrow? Tomorrow is not good for me. I was supposed to spend the day with Cameron tomorrow. He’ll be so mad if I cancel now. But…maybe if, I explain to him that Aiden’s back he’ll understand, maybe.  I couldn’t hurt to try. He’s been very understanding thus far and plus he’s genuinely trying for us this time.

But, if he gets mad then I’ll…well I don’t know, but I’ll figure that out later. I mean come on; it’s Aiden we’re talking about here. Despite our lack of communication, I’d certainly like to see him again. I think…I just hope he feels the same way about me.

“Oh and one more thing.” Mom said pulling out a black shiny thing from her back pocket. “This is for you.”

As soon as I got sight on the new gadget in her hands I let out a squeal of excitement.

“You got me an iPod?”

“Well Martin and I did.” She corrected. “We feel like you deserve it for all the hard work you’ve been putting in at school. It even has a few of your favorites already on it.”

I immediately knew what she meant by “favorites.”  She was as about as easy to read as a book.

“You added “Thrift Shop” didn’t you?”

She always calls it “my” favorite song, but I know it’s actually hers. One day I caught her listing to it on the netbook I had gotten for my birthday. And apparently she had listened to it quite a few times to because when I walked in on her she was singing most of the words.

Apparently allowing her to borrow my computer also meant she could invade my stored playlist, and that’s where it all began. My mom was crazy sometimes, but I loved her for it. And she certainly kept me entertained.  Who wouldn’t want a mother like that?

“First song on your playlist.” She grinned. “Oh and it’s the edited version. Hope you don’t mind.”

I knew it. She couldn’t resist.

Not that, I minded much, I just found it humorous. If only the rest of the PTA new about my mother’s secret love of Macklemore. What would they think?

“Why don’t we give it a listen?” She said taking the device from my hands before I could resist.

‘And when the daylight comes I'll have to go

But tonight I'm gonna hold you so close

Cause in the daylight-‘

I quickly took out my phone at the sound of ringer to see who was calling. It was probably Cameron to confirm our plans for tomorrow.