Chapter 6- Unveiling Me

The next morning came quicker than I thought it would. After spending the day with Aiden yesterday, I couldn't get him off my mind. All the things we said were still fresh to me and I was starting to feel bad about how things went. Maybe I should have said things in a different way. He had totally been friend zoned in the worst possible way and I felt completely terrible.

I just wanted to diminish any thought that we could be anything more than friends very quickly. It wouldn’t be fair to him to let him think otherwise. I was Cam’s girlfriend and Aiden’s best friend, that’s all. And that’s the way it had to stay.

I stood in front of the mirror, staring at my reflection, trying to fix my terribly unorganized hair. I never seem to learn my lesson from sleeping on wet hair. It’s always a mangled mess every morning, which only causes me to spend a much longer time trying to make it acceptable. You’d think I’ would have realized this by now but it never seems to stop me from doing it.

Oh how I miss the times when I didn’t care to please others. When I wasn’t trying to keep up appearances, or this charade. I was just…me. Though, I did only had one friend at that time….Aiden. I was practically a loner. All we had were each other.

Us against the world, we would joke.

Things were much simpler then.

Not that I’m implying I don’t like my life now, because I do. Really. It’s just that things are different then how they used to be. Not better or worse, just…different.

I sighed at myself in the mirror after finish straitening my wavy hair and throw on my light jean jacket over the white summer dress I decided to wear today.

According to the local weather station, it was suppose to be to be rather warm and quite beautiful day today, so I thought I would dress for it.  While the weatherman said the chance of rain was only 10 percent I decided to show my confidence in his prediction and wear something cool.

“You are still getting ready?” Aiden’s voice said from the doorway in something like amusement. “You used to be the one waiting on me, not the other way around”

After the startle of his presence went away I glanced back at him as he appeared in my mirror before I completed my appearance by applying some mascara.

“Well, I guess that’s something else that has changed.” I smiled with a shrug.

“I can see.” He nodded.

Ignoring his remark I quickly placed all my beauty products back in their rightful place and grab my bag and books off the tall wooden dresser on the opposite side of the room.

“I take it the offer still stands?” I said watching him take in my appearance.

After yesterday, I wasn’t sure if he still wanted to be the one to drive me to school this morning. What I did was pretty bad.

Maybe it didn’t bother him. Maybe I was just playing this whole thing up in my head. Is it possible I imagined him liking me?

I raised my eyebrow to him when he didn’t answer.

“I’m sorry, what?” He asks breaking out of whatever trance he was in.

I could have sworn I saw him blush before he turned away from me.

Um…was Aiden just checking me out? 

No. No. He couldn’t. He wouldn’t. I have a boyfriend and he is just my friend.

Yeah, keep telling yourself that. Besides, he was just looking, that’s all.  It wasn’t like he was asking you out on a date or expressing his undying love for you, my snarky inner voice remarks.