Chapter 13: Knowing

"Hes sucking her blood, Braelyn. You knew that though its in our family..blah blah blah." He sits down opposite me, I can tell by his words he's acting bored, but he tits head. He wants a reaction. 

" I don't believe you." I say lifting my chin up.

"Please," he rolls his eyes, "You know you believe me."

 I watch my brother as he sucks a girl dry and I know Derek he is a vampire and he is right and I know I feel hatred for him. And vampires, even my brother.

"There it is!" Derek shouts laughing, "I knew it was there, I know you've been reading our great grandfathers diary." He sneers.

"Who?" I ask.

"Michael Parks. Which is also why I want to kill you. You know the whole "Girl Of The Family Kills Boy Of the Family Thing". Even though the one thing they managed to keep out of our family histories and our grand fathers diaries is that the woman of our family are all witches. The wife Parks married also happened to be a witch and she passed on the information to her daughters, your mother was supposed to be the next greatest witch of the family, but your grandmothers last accursed act was to protect her. Only one problem, it can't protect you. Not fully anyway, during the day I cant harm you in any way, but at twelve tonight....your done."

I would tell him that he doesn't have to kill me and that I'll leave all vampires alone, but some how I know that I wont. The fact that I'm a witch makes me feel confused for the first time since Derek started speaking. I've known all along really, I guess its in my blood to know and to protect.

"You are vermin." I spit at him.

"Really now?" he laughs and looks at his watch again, " fifteen minutes to go sweet heart, but let me tell you about vermin then. Rega, your nice friend from the shop? She's a witch just like you and a werwolf, she try's to deny it, but you cant do that can you? Vermin is denying who you are she is vermin."

"No," I look at him steadily, "killing is vermin, taking lives is vermin."

He grinds his teeth so hard I can hear them clash together, "What about Kai then? You know what he is?" he smiles triumphantly.

"I do now." I say 

"I thought I heard my name." I turn from Derek to see Kai, right next to a gigantic silver wolf. Im not joking, its huge! It has a single black stripe down its back and a thin pointed muzzle. As I look at it, it growls, but not at me at Derek and Liam who are suddenly standing side by side in front of me, "Give her back and no one gets hurt." Kai's words are punctuated by the growling wolf. "Im afraid I can't do that." Derek snarls and thats when for the second time in my entire life I see some one attack another person willingly.