Chapter 4: Vampire Vs. Werewolf

Kai’s POV

I wasn’t a guest in Rega’s home; oh no I was a damn prisoner! It had been a couple of days since Rega let me stay with her and I had picked up a few new facts about her I never knew I knew. When I came here I had no idea how boring it was going to be! Rega spent all day dancing to music and teaching herself potions and spells that she could never get right. She had a constant background of obscure bands I had never heard of and her dancing resembled that of a rambunctious donkey.

As promised my bed was a thin mattress on the floor, a small blanket that didn't cover my feet and a square pillow. I knew she was mean but this…she’s gonna pay for this! “REGA!!” I shouted over the blaring rock music she had on, she had put some kind of sound block spell around her house so no one heard her and she heard no one. One of the rare occasions when her spells actually worked.

 “Yes, little bro?” she said coming up the stairs from the shop carrying a box and moving her hips in time to the music. 

 “You’ve been keeping me in here for a week. I want to go out, make friends and, you know, have a life!” I said looking at her with my most bored and pleading eyes.

She simply shook her head and said. “Nope, because then I have to go with you.” She put the box down and started to dance completely to the music, getting into it and throwing back her head.  

“Then how about some fun?” I snarled getting up. And heading straight for her, “We test what is better, wolf or vampire.” By now I was in front of her, she had her eyes closed tight and had her hands in the air above my head. 

 I saw as she made up her mind the way her lips twitched into a menacing smile and her eyebrows furrowed together in concentration. “You’re on.” When she opened her eyes they had gone the golden colour of her wolf form and she was ready to tear me limb from limb if the need arose, she was going all out on this one. I reveled in the challenge. 

 Without another second thought I jumped at her throwing us both into a spiral down the stairs that lead from her living quarters to her shop. Her body pillowed my fall but before I could even stand up to fight she had flipped us over so that she had me pinned on the floor. She opened her mouth, revealing sharp white teeth dripping with venom and moved towards my throat.

 “Naughty!” I shouted and smacked her across the face. Her temporary shock at being slapped gave me a chance and I slipped out from under her and grabbing her neck I twisted it so that it wouldn’t kill her, but it would knock her out for quite a bit, ”Bad dog.” I said smiling. I like this werewolf thing; it makes it easy to make jokes.

I dropped her to the floor and got up to walk out of the shop with complete pride. Vampires win. I thought before running smack into someone. Before I could even react I heard a curse and a muffled, “Not again!” before the stranger was on the floor. 

 “You make a habit of knocking into strangers?” I said not even bothering to help her pick up the one book she had dropped. 

 “No, but people have been trying to knock into me a lot lately!” She said puffing up immediately, but when she looked up at me I saw a tired girl more than an angry woman. One quarter irritated and the rest was just tired. And not the type of tired you get from sleeping too little. She looked like she was drained. Which was perfect. I needed someone like her, too weak to resist. Just a little coercing to make her think she’s seen me before and wants to know more about me and she will be the one inviting me to coffee. Yes, that would work. The next thing I know she's asking for my number and a time that’s good for me so that we can have coffee

 “What about now?” I ask fluttering my eyes, “I know a great place around the corner.” 

 “No, no. I have to get home, is Saturday tomorrow? Yes of course. I’ll see you then, at the coffee shop over next to MacDonald’s? At nine? That sounds good actually. Bye” she says already looking at her phone that has started to ring with a perplexed face, “Hi mom. Yeah I’m on my way. No, don’t pick me up! I’m almost home...”

 I found myself smiling at the odd broken girl as she walked away still telling her mom not to come pick her up. She walked deranged up like some sort of broken doll her hair dark and plaited strongly, it hung down to her hips. She had a baby doll round face with stunning blue eyes. No make-up and I knew that if she stood up straight she would still be short but more noticeable. The other thing I noticed was her hands. They were slender, and long. Humans would say piano fingers…

Supernaturals, would say witches fingers.